Friday, January 2, 2009

A Final Word on the 50 Greats

So after about a week of writing, studying, and finding the right photo to define the band, the list is complete. It has been very enjoyable to create this list! Let me first stress that this list is not "The List of 50 Greatest Musicians, more as "My" list of 50 greatest. I'm sure as people read this or go through the list, they may have many disagreements which is totally fine! The amazing thing about music is everybody has their own taste and opinions just as with any form of art. Let me also point out several important artists that are not on my list, and why they are not on my list.

Eric Clapton: As I showed this list to my musical family, they have all criticized me for not having Clapton on the list. I know he is considered one of the greatest guitarists of all time, and has had a lasting impact on Rock and Roll music. Although I appreciate his early music with Cream, I simply am not as enticed by his music as others. He would surely fall in a top 100 list, yet I simply feel that the 50 ahead of him, are better to listen to.

Red Hot Chili Peppers: They were another band very close to making the list, yet not quite close enough to make the cut.

Other Honorable Mentions:
Stevie Wonder: Soul
The Flaming Lips: Rock
Imogen Heep: Electronica
The Kinks: Classic Rock
Andres Segovia:Classical Guitar
The Byrds: Classic Rock
Cat Stevens: Classic Rock
James Taylor: Classic Rock

I hope you all enjoy the list, and please do comment if you think I left someone out, or if you think someone should be higher/lower then they are. I would also love to compare my list with your lists, if you ever have the urge or time to do this. It's very fun to do, and is good to know where your musical taste really lies.

No comments: