Thursday, January 1, 2009

The 50 Greats: 10-6

10. Coldplay
The Band of the Millennium
Genre: Rock
Years Active: 1998-Present
Key Songs: “Fix You”, “Speed of Sound”, “Viva La Vida”
The high pitch vocals of Chris Martin, and trippy alternative sound, make Coldplay one of my favorite modern rock bands. Their sound is very similar to Radiohead, with an easy-going soft and harmonic, often psychedelic sound. Chris Martin is practically the heart and soul of the group and brings so much creativity and energy to the group. I remember I began my infatuation with Coldplay, starting in college. It was at Sterling Apartments, sitting in Sara’s room, where we would chill and listen to Coldplay. To me Coldplay was the defining music of my sophomore year in college. Their music began my transition away from hip hop and more into rock. Their sound ranges all over the place, from uplifting with songs like “Viva La Vida” or “Speed of Sound” to mysterious like “Yellow”, “Clocks”, or “Spies”. Throughout the past few years I have had so many experiences with Coldplay. The greatest of those experiences was actually seeing them live in concert with Lauran, and witnessing the sheer trip of a lifetime. Ever since then, I have considered Coldplay one of my favorite bands, especially as they continue to produce new sounds. Their music is perfect for almost any situation. Going on a road trip to Purdue, working on a puzzle during Christmas time, going out for a run around Kekionga, celebrating Lizzie’s 21st birthday, springtime, college times, summertime, watching a slideshow, relaxing, autumn, playing cards, talking in Sara’s room, wintertime, partying, and just flat out living the life.
9. ATB
The Ultimate Trance
Genre: Trance
Years Active: 1998-Present
Key Songs: “Circular Symmetry”, “Too Much Rain”, “First Love”
ATB is the hands down ultimate trance music and leader in electronic, psychedelic, and relaxing music. Several years back it was introduced to me by Philip, as the ultimate chill music. The real amazing thing about ATB, is the music can be ideal for chilling or exercising. It is my favorite music to run to, especially long runs, over 10 miles. It reminds me of running along the beaches of Lake Michigan, or running a 20-miler at night with dad. Something about their music, just makes me feel like I’m floating whether it’s chilling or running. Songs like “Circular Symmetry” and “Too Much Rain” have an amazing blend of chilled music, with an upbeat bass, and great vocals. Unlike heavy techno, ATB is a modern trance style that is easy to listen to. It always makes me think of Europe or soccer. It’s trance music that simply takes you away to another place.
8. John Lennon
The Icon of Peace
Genre: Classic Rock
Years Active: 1957-1980
Key Songs: “Imagine”, “Oh Yoko”, “Dream 9”
Starting back with the Beatles, I have always considered John Lennon as the leader of the Rock and Roll movement. He set the path with his fellow Beatles, in the early 1960s with a popish rock sound that was groundbreaking in those days. Following the band’s breakup, in the early 1970s, Lennon was finally set free and could sing and write about what he really felt. His music has always been so inspiring, provoking, and moving to me. He sings with a very soft melodic voice, with an easy going acoustic guitar or piano. His music is as controversial as is gets, and that’s just what I love about Lennon. The fact that he had the nerve to defy religion “God”, or to curse in a song “Working Class Hero”, or to start a revolution, “Power to the People.” He sang of peace and love and unity, and represented the struggle of the common man against the power elite. His lyrics are deep and very meaningful, and I feel that his death was perhaps the biggest loss felt in music and the revolution for peace.
7. Dave Matthews Band
The Band of Jam
Genre: Rock
Years Active: 1991-Present
Key Songs: “Two Step”, “Cry Freedom”, “Warehouse”
Along with Coldplay, the Dave Matthews Band has become my favorite modern musical group. I feel the genius of Dave Matthews is extremely underrated, and the sound he has developed along with his passionate lyrics, truly disserve more recognition. I feel the key element to the Dave Matthews band, is Dave’s unique voice, mixed with Boyd Tinsley’s rock violin. The band itself is unlike any normal band, bringing in all sorts of instruments to create the ultimate jam band. It’s the thing I love most about Dave Matthews, especially in songs like “Warehouse” and “Bartender”. Its music that just always puts me in a good mood, and just as Coldplay I have so much history and experience with. I had always known of them as a kid, yet didn’t really begin to appreciate them, until college. It was during my sophomore year, at Maxwell and Sterling, where I began my awakening to good music. It was Lauren who really turned me on to their music, with her vast knowledge and dedication to the band. I could see why someone would be so loyal and dedicated to his music, and I myself often find myself trapped in some serious Dave phases. This is not a bad thing of course, and I hope to still yet reach my ultimate phase, when I experience them in concert for the first time.
6. Michael Jackson
The King of Pop
Genre: Pop
Years Active: 1967-Present
Key Songs: “Man in the Mirror”, “Smooth Criminal”, “Black or White”
Michael Jackson was the defining music of my childhood and early adolescent years. I would be a complete hypocrite to deny the significance that Michael Jackson’s music has had in my life. He has been at the top of the pop charts continuously throughout the past 40 years, dating back to the late 60s. Starting back with the Jackson 5, Michael and his brothers brought an upbeat disco sounding rhythm with great harmony, funk, and vocals. After he went solo in the 70s, he continued to be an icon of disco with songs like “Don’t Stop ‘Till you get Enough” or “Billie Jean”. In the 80s he introduced a new pop-rockish sound, with his hit albums “Bad” and “Thriller”. In the 90s he continued to produce hits such as “Black or White”, “Remember the Time”, and “Heal the World”. I remember as a kid always loving to watch his music videos. I thought he was the coolest, best singer, best dancer in the business. He was the first musician I really was obsessed with. His music still puts me an upbeat mood, ideal for a party or some dancing. I notice many people criticize him for various reasons, the skin, the children, etc, yet I also notice that nobody ever complains when his music comes on. Michael Jackson is another perfect example of a musical legend, with some terrible controversy, yet an enduring music.

No comments: