Friday, October 30, 2009

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

So it should no longer be secret that I will be rocking the V costume this year for Halloween. My only hope is that this anarchist viglinate, a character that I admire dearly from the movie V for Vendetta, does not get the best of me, as Maximus did last year. Over the past few years I have once again come to enjoy the fun of Halloween or a Costume Party, a time when you can dress up and be somebody entirely different. All through high school and even parts of college, Halloween had become a kid's Holiday for trick-or-treating... Well that's not the case any more my friends, for now I see Halloween in a different way... It's fun for everybody, kids and adults! Well maybe not so much teenagers, and I could understand why. They'll grow out if though, and soon realize the fun they had forgotten!....

As for me, the fun started a few years back with my Robin costume, of which I was Dana's partner in crime. As Batman and Robin we cruised the streets of IU looking for crime and scandalously-dressed women... I found it to be quite invigorating to be something different, and get away with it... To really fall into character! and so I decided that I always wanted to partake in Halloween....

Then there was of course my infamous Maximus costume, of which I truly fell into character. The epitome of masculinity overtook me as I roamed the streets of Purdue, causing havoc as a truly unstoppable Roman warrior. I thought I was unbreakable that day, full of adrenaline, high on testosterone, and blinded by drunken madness... It was a very memorable day, and although I don't remember a minute of it, I know I had a pretty fun time.

This year it will be V, where I plan to woo people over not with drunken stupidity but with sophisticated elegance... I admire this character not only for his heroism, his revolution, his devotion, his mysteriousness, or his ass-kicking skills... but for his sheer intelligence, a man very cultured in the arts... It goes to show that he is not some crazed killer, but a person with a real purpose. He fights for freedom against a conservative totalitarian dictatorship, and I couldn't agree more with his ideology, which is why I have decided to proudly where his mask this Halloween... It should be fun... I leave you now with some memorable V quotes:

  • "Remember, remember the 5th of November. The gunpowder, treason, and plot. I know of no reason why the gunpowder treason should ever be forgot."
  • "VoilĂ ! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a by-gone vexation, stands vivified and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin van-guarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition. The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta, held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V."
  • "Vi Veri Veniversum Vicus Vici: By the Power of Truth, I while living, have conquered the universe."
  • "But again truth be told, if you are looking for the guilty one, you need only look into a mirror."
  • "...A building is a symbol, as is the act of destroying it. Symbols are given power by people. A symbol, in and of itself is powerless, but with enough people behind it, blowing up a building can change the world."
  • "Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof."
  • "There's no certainty - only opportunity."
  • "A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having!"
  • "People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people."

No comments: