Sunday, October 25, 2009

Regarding Purdue

Being a Hoosier, it's always been a must to be Anti-Purdue everything... Well that's just not the case for me... Sure Purdue is not half of what IU is, yet I will not deny the fact that I've had some very memorable experiences at that place... In this post I want to give Purdue some credit where credit is due...

For some strange reason, I've made the drive to Purdue from almost every direction... and it's always quite the enjoyable one, especially in the fall time. Coming into West Lafayette on Highway 25 is by far the best route, as you drive parallel to railroads and into winding forests... The area has many many trees, which is incredible during the fall season. Now the campus itself is very compact, and not near the sight of IU's... Yet the town itself is rich in culture, with many unique stores, bars, and restaurants.

I guess my regards for Purdue came once my brother began attending the school. It was then that I got in inside look at our rivals. I remember that first year he attended, Jhormy had also enrolled and both of them were living there on campus. I remember the first time I went to visit was in the Fall-time of 04 for our Mario Kart Tournament. It was me, Matt, EJ, Sara, and Jenna that made the memorable trip. We didn't stay for long, and hardly even got drunk, but at least we got a feel for the environment. The next time we went was in the spring time of 05, for a Mario Kart rematch, as well as a big party at Jhormy's apartment. It was here that we realized Purdue's notorious sausage parties, yet we still got obliviated off keg stands, bongs, and so forth.

In the years to come I made several other Purdue visits, with many memorable experiences....

I remember back when I had my green Toyota Truck, we filled it up to the brim to get some late night Taco Bell... It must have been after Jhormy's party, and I definetely was in no state to be driving, yet Taco Bell was all that mattered. We piled in myself, Philip, K-man, EJ, Reggie, and Jackie.... and when we got there, I remember some drunk guy was picking a fight with us, since we were from IU, and he was especially calling Jackie names. And we were all about ready to kick this guy's ass, until his friend apologized for him, and settled everybody doing with his classic line, "Let's not fight... It's Taco Time"...

Then there was one time for the IU-Purdue tailgate, I believe my senior year, that me and Philip brought a box of Franzia to the fields... Things defintely got pretty fuzzy during the daytime... I remember we ended up at a house party, and eventually lost Philip at Taco Bell... I think it was then that me, Lauren, EJ, K-man, and Lindsay Sluyter had to walk for almost an hour in the freezing cold to find our way back indoors... Crazy night...

In the final days of my college career, we made a visit to Purdue for the much-hyped "300" drinking event... it was an all-out drinking competition to see who could drink the most, IU or Purdue... the day was a day for champions as we began early in the morning, keeping track of each beer downed... There were many many bongs, and I remember blacking out after 20 beers... I then got back up later in the day and made a second surge after a little bit of Pizza. I eventually got to 28, yet we ran out of beer, and I was unable to catch Philip with his 32 beers... Although we lost to them, I believe four of the top 5 finishers were from IU...

Then there was the memorable Green Dragon experience, where I decided to drop in on Philip and his friends after working a game at Ross-Ade Stadium. We began by pre-gaming at McCormicks, with some good guitar jamming and so forth, and then went out to the bars listening to German techno the whole way there. When we got to the bar, Clint had us all order a pair of Green Dragons, the mixed drink of choice. I would say this drink is much similar to IU's legendary AMF where it goes down easy, but then hits you like a ton of bricks. After I drank these Green Dragons I blacked out completely, and got lost as could be... To make matters worse my phone was dead, and had absolutely no way of getting a hold of anybody. For hours I wandered from bar to bar, in a complete lost daze, until finally I made it on a bus that dropped me off at McCormicks...

There was one weekend, I worked a game in Illinois, then drove to West Lafayette to meet up with Philip and his new girlfriend Shawna. I remember we decided to pre-game with two cases of Keystone, and then go out to the bars... Yet as things should go, we got black-out drunk and never made it out... I remember waking up in a room full of toys and dolls...

Now one of my most memorable drinking experiences ever, just happened last year at Purdue, for the Oaken Bucket Rivalry... Philip had been talking about his Breakfest Club adventures for some time now, and managed to convince me and Gily to drop in for the weekend. So I decided to put together an incredible Maximus costume, that would end up getting the best of me. We started pre gaming that morning at about 5am, with some coffee, shots, and beer bongs... We then made our way to the bars, where there were lines of people in costumes waiting to get in. I remeber it was very cold, yet it only fueled me more. I was kind of into Shawna's friend Stef back then, and she became my partner in crime that morning. So once we finally got into the bar, we both ordered 8 screw drivers, and downed them in a matter of minutes. And that was about the last thing I remembered that morning. Apparently I was total chaos, as I walked in the middle of traffic, threw garbage bins, tried to break glass windows, pick fights, and simply disrupt society. I don't think I have ever been so out of control before. I like to think there were many contributing factors beyond just being that drunk. One was the costume and two was trying to show-off for Stef. Nonetheless it is a miracle that I didn't get arrested that day, and hope to never be that ridiculous again. I remember coming out of my black out, after Stef snapped on me, for lord know's what reason... We were then in Kyle's apartment recapping the morning, and I was suddenly sober as could be, yet didn't remember a single thing. We then went to the tailgate fields in the afternoon to get drunk again, where we met up with Audrey and P-Rod... We drank at the Evans Scholar House and mooched free hamburgers... We then passed out at McCormicks for a while and then in the evening made a third drinking run, with bongs and games. And so I got drunk 3 times that day, for what has turned out to be an infamous experience...

I have been to Purdue many times, for parties, work, visits, and so forth, with many more stories that are not included in this post... All-in-all it's really not that bad of a place... Sure they may not have the beautiful campus or girls that IU has, but they surely make up for it in their drinking... Every time I go to Purdue now, I expect something ridiculous to happen... This past weekend, I was unable to partake in the craziness due to an immense flu I have been fighting... Yet I know there will be many more adventures there to come...

1 comment:

Pablo Ramos said...

dammit Stephen you are right. It is a fun place to get drunk.