Sunday, October 18, 2009

Regarding Michigan State

I admire the Big Ten, mostly because it is situated here in the MidWest and I feel like I can relate to the culture of each campus. Well Michigan State was one of the first colleges I ever really appreciated. It began when I was a junior in high school and my cousin Marc, was living the college dream at MSU... He told me of his many adventures and stories, from parties, Frisbee games, roommates, soccer, video games, speeches, the girls, and so forth... It sounded like he was living freely having the time of his life. And at that point I decided that I too wanted to leave home to go away to college. During my senior year I visited the campus of Michigan State with my family, to watch Marc perform in the marching band. It was a phenomenal site, to see the tradition of this campus. On game days, the band marches through the streets and into the stadium. It was all very entertaining, and I loved every minute of our visit. After that day I knew that I wanted to attend MSU. As things would go I later changed my mind and went to IU, which I have absolutely no regrets about! But in this post I want to focus on MSU, a university that I have high regards for...

When I decided on IU, MSU became one of our major rivals, especially in basketball. Furthermore the rivalry was more intense for me, since I had two cousins who attended MSU. To this day we always bump heads over the rivalry, which makes it all the better. In the winter of 2008, we arranged the Cousin Campus Tour, where we first visited Central Michigan in Grand Rapids, then spent the day at Michigan State. I remember it was a very cold winter day, snowing and all, yet we still took in the campus of MSU... The nightlife has a very European appeal to it, with so much character. We had a late night adventure, went to at least three or four bars, watched a live band, and finished with some fast food.

Last year in February, I had Marc come visit IU for the basketball rivalry. It was a fun time, as he proudly wore his green, and I showed him around my campus and introduced him to my friends. We had a great time Friday night, woke up early Saturday morning to watch the Pep Rally at Assembly Hall, had some good chicken wings for dinner, then did some pre-gaming over at Rager's house. Finding tickets for the game was quite an adventure, yet I had no doubt, and we eventually found good seats in Assembly Hall to watch the game, where IU destroyed MSU. It was a memorable experience, and now I owe him a trip to MSU to watch the rivarly there.

My most recent excursion to the campus of Michigan State just came this past weekend, as I went to work a ESPN game there. After working 3 years now for Sportvision this would be my first time working the stadium of MSU, and I was very excited, especially since I had so much history with this place. So the drive went good and I found the place perfectly, yet my car died right outside the stadium on Shaw Drive. Luckily I got it jumped, and after that, everything went smoothly. This past weekend I got to admire the campus of Michigan State more than ever. Now I know why I had so closely considered attending this school. The campus is a wide landscape of beauty; trees and rivers, all very colorful in the fall-time. People everywhere, out running, walking, biking, talking, and so forth. And the girls there are all very pretty. It's just an all around happening place, very similar to Bloomington. I hope to visit the campus many more times to come!

No comments: