Sunday, October 18, 2009

Where the Wild Things Are

Sure it may seem as a kids movie, but I assure you thats hardly the case with this breakthrough film directed by Spike Jones. It's unlike anything I've seen before, quite possibly the best movie of 2009! When I first saw the trailer many many months ago, I knew it was going to be a unique film. It's been on my radar for a long time, and finally this Sunday afternoon I went to watch it with Andres and his friend Hunter. The movie is an adaptation of the famous children's book Where the Wild Things Are written by Maurice Sendak. For a book that only has 10 sentences, it is no surprise that the story is pretty simple. A kid with a wild imagination runs away from home and escapes to an island full of wild things, where he fits right in. Yet the real appeal to this story is not the adventurous story, yet the sensational imagery. It is a visual pleaser, with incredible special effects and breath-taking settings. From the cold snowy real-world he escapes, to an island of barren forest, sand dunes, and stone mountains. The monsters are as real as it gets, with CGI facial expressions, each with their own distinct character. The main character Max, becomes friends with each of these creatures, as they share many emotions together; from happiness, sadness, fear, hope, and love... The ending is somewhat sad, yet also very expected. It is a very artistic movie, great coloring, and a cool soundtrack... I'm sure there are many themes to the movie, yet I felt the most important one is pure imagination! It's an inspiring movie, not only for kids, yet for whoever else has the slightest bit of an imagination.

1 comment:

dreamer said...

I went to see it and I agree with you... is an amazing movie... Deff far different from anything I have seen.