Sunday, May 3, 2009

My Week in Calle Blancos

It's was a good week here at Calle Blancos with Queta, Humberto, and Humberto's family... Although I mostly stayed indoors I still kept very busy, helping around the house and taking in lots of "Tico" and "Venezuelan" culture... Here are some pics from my week in Calle Blancos...

Since Queta & Humberto are still settling into their house, there was much work to be done... Yet of the many jobs I did around the house, this patio was our biggest project... We painted the entire thing white which took a good 3 days... Now it has plants and wall decorations, and looks much different then it did before!

We were basically trying to get the house ready for a big party on Saturday, in which all of Humberto's family would be visiting... So I kind of fell into a routine this week... In the mornings I would have coffee with Queta while we watched a Venezuelan soap opera called "Ka Ina"... Then have "Gallo-Pinto" for breakfest... (Eggs, Rice, and Beans) very good! Then work during the day... I would take a break around the afternoon with a beer, and watch a European futbol match...(They are always on TV here, and I love it!) Have lunch, and then get back to work until about dinner time...


On Thursday night, we had an amazing futbol match at a stadium, in which Marco and his co-worker's rented out... I don't think I'd ever played on such a nice field or inside such a stadium before... We had a ref and about 20 players; 10 vs 1o; white vs red, with full 4o minute halves... Me, Humberto, and Don Humberto were all the same team, yet Marco pulled a muscle before the game started... I thought I would be terribly out of shape, yet I held my own, and actually put in 2 goals... I could have put in more, yet let some opportunities slip by... Our team lost 10-6, and perhaps had we had Marco we would have won... Yet it was still so fun to get back on the pitch for a serious, competitive game like the good ole days...

Friday we did lots of grocery shopping, yet Saturday was our busiest of days.. we got up early around 7am to go to the "Feria" which was a marketplace of fresh fruit and vegetables... It was quite a site, with vendors side by side, yelling out their deals, and tons of people shopping... I drank some extremely fresh coconut! During the day we did some finishing touches on the patio along with some basic clean-up and food preparations...

By around 5pm, people starting showing up.. Humberto cooked some amazing Saviche (fish that is saturated in Lemon Juice, along with other herbs) Very Good! and Queta was the master Chef, teaching everyone how to make Sushi... Everyone was very interested to see how it was made, yet nobody really liked it besides me, Queta, Laura, and Pedro... It was a good time with good food, good drinks, and good atmosphere...



Today I am off to San Carlos, to a town called Ciudad Quesada... It will be a completely different way of life, in a more rural part of Costa Rica, far away from San Jose... I believe it's within the mountains, close to the glorious volcano called Arenal, which I do hope to visit while I'm there... I'll be living with a new family, and be working as an English teacher... So, I'll be beginning Phase 2 of my Costa Rican adventure... I think I'm ready for the change... My time here with Queta &
Humberto has been great and memorable, and I know this won't be my last time in Calle Blancos, yet it is time to once again step outside of my comfort zone! I think that it will go well...





No comments: