Wednesday, May 6, 2009

San Vicente

I got here on Sunday to Ciudad Quesada, welcomed by a bombardment of rain... The lady who lives here is Dona Hilda, same name as my grandma, and is very friendly... She has three daughters all of which are teachers... they are all very friendly, very musical, and extremely Christian... the only downside is that the place is in the middle of construction, and extremely noisy! There is zero privacy, and people are always coming in and out... but on the upside, I've made a really good friend, named Miguel, who's quite the free-spirit just like me... On Monday night we went on a random adventure to a small town high up in the mountains called San Vicente... There we stayed for two nights, with Don Gerardo and Dona Grace, in their cabin... This family was the epitome of culture! Very hard working, social, friendly, religious, and extremely old-fashioned...

We got up early that morning to help Don Gerardo cement a damn, deep in the forest... This was no easy hike, carrying cement up and down steep muddy slippery trails and across rivers to get to the waterfall... after we were done working, I just had to take a dip in the freezing cold water... Afterwards Miguel and I hiked up the mountains... The mountains continued to go up and up, and we were never able to make it to the top, yet we plan to return in a week to do so! For lunch Dona Grace made an incredible "Sopa Negra con Huevos Duro"... Afterwards we continued hiking, met lots of the townspeople, saw the lecherias, tons of cows, and helped Don Gerardo move some wood... In the evening there was a "futbol" tournament, in which the entire town was there to see... The town is very organized! It was so amazing to see how social and united they all are...









I returned to Ciudad Quesada early this morning to begin working at a school in San Carlos. My first day was quite a rush, put straight into action... After only one day I have to say I really like this work... The children are all so alive, loving, and energetic! I'll be working for two weeks as their English teacher and gym teacher... Also all my fellow teachers, are very attractive and friendly ladies! Tonight I'm going out with some of them, Should be interesting!!

No comments: