Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Oh... Jimmy Fallon...

For Jimmy Fallon fans, you might not want to read this, but I just gotta get this off my chest...

The minute I heard that he would be taking the helms of a Tonight Show I knew he would fail! I honestly never thought he was funny to begin with... on SNL he was always quirky, a terrible actor, always cracking up in the middle of a skit, and extremely twitchy! I mean the guy just needs to settle down! I had to watch his first two opening shows this week, to see how bad it would be... and i gotta say i was not surprised...

-He started with an extremely awkward interview with the screen legend, Robert De Niro...
-Then came a ridiculous segment of audience members licking lawnmowers, and other obvious product placements...
-The Roots and Justin Timberlake pretty much saved the first show...
-and I gotta say I was disappointed to watch him humiliate not only himself, but more importantly Robert De Niro!

-On the second night, Tina Fey came to his rescue, yet other than that I think the show might have been worse than the first night...
-There was a funny segment on some dancing German soccer players...
-Jon Bon Jovi pretty much stole the spotlight from Fallon when he came out...
-Later there was the worse segment yet with a rejected chair, who had hit rock bottom, and was welcomed on the show... this segment was the ultimate low for Fallon, who hardly received a single laugh after it was done...

I understand that there is a lot of pressure, and it is normal for new shows to start off rough... but wow, what a terrible start! He can't count on The Roots to carry him through his first week... He needs to steal the show, be the spotlight, and make it all look easy! I mean, there's good talk show hosts like; Jay Leno, Letterman, Jon Stewart, and Conan, then there are bad ones like Craig Ferguson, Jimmy Kimmel, and Carson Daly... I just don't think Fallon was cut out to be a talk-show host. He's doesn't have that natural funniness and he tries WAY to hard... Not to mention he's flat out terrible at interviews... I know this is harsh, especially after only 2 shows, but I just don't see it getting any better... I'm afraid NBC just got it wrong with Jimmy Fallon, and I wouldn't give him more than a month on prime-time television!

No comments: