Friday, March 27, 2009

Living with Jeanette

I´ve been staying in Guadalupe these last few days, at the house of a lady named Jeanette... It is a typical latin setting in the midst of a noisy neighborhood, full of animals, plants, and many colorful decorations. She cooks great food, and is very friendly... she reminds me of my grandma, Ofelia.

As for the other roommates, they are all German and Norwiegen girls. They are very friendly and warm to me, even though I am the only American guy in the house. We´ve gone out both nights since I´ve been here... the other night we went to a Jazz club, which was pretty cool yet also a little expensive for my taste...

The ¨Tico¨way of life, is already very interesting to me... very similiar to Venezuela, mostly because everything is so loud... from the streets, to the people, to the music, to the animals all around... San Jose is definetely no glamourous city, quite dirty to say the least... and the traffic is simply obsurd! I would never want to drive here... yet the people are very friendly... and the women are simply gorgeous! I feel that I can blend in for the most part, yet is impossible to do when I go out with the Germans... but then again, this is a very big city, and quite diverse, so it´s not much of a problem to stick out a little... I´ve already begun to adapt to the city, and I think I´m already growing acostum to it... overall it´s just a liberating way of life... as if people make their own rules here, and yet it all seems to work out...

This weekend I´ll be visiting my cousin Queta, which should be fun to be able to take in some inside ¨Tico¨culture... I start working at the art museum on Monday... not sure exactly what I´ll be doing, but I already saw the museum, and was pretty impressed...

2 comments:

Pablo Ramos said...

you hit the jackpot. girls and latin cooking. I never got that treatment in el salvador. Eat some Jocotes for me. I miss those. I got an interview with a Costa Rican school. But I won't be in San Jose. I'll be right by the beach. Not so bad bro. we can see each other on the weekends. Besides beach life is much cheaper here than san jose. Rustic but, I mean it's the beach can't complain too much. did you get my facebook email. deuces bro
puro vida!!!!

IU_hoosier20 said...

thats great news man... why haven´t u keep me more informed... i want details man... san jose is amazing thus far, but i too will eventually be journeying out to the countryside... pura vida!