Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Heredia and UCR Futbol

After nearly a week I finally have internet once again... I've been staying here at Queta's, yet have visisted many places throughout the past week; Cartago, Heredia, Alajuela, San Carlos, La Fortuna, and Volcan Irazu... Since I'm on a serious time crunch here, I"ll have to condense these experiences into quick brief entries... this first one is about Heredia...

The city is about a good 30 minutes away from San Jose, known for its National University (2nd biggest in Costa Rica) and its Coffee plantations... I started the day at the central park, to see the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception along with the historic building, El Fortin... This fortress built in 1917 is infamous for it's terrible design, that allowed bullets in and made it impossible for soldiers to shoot out... I did lots of walking that day and later made it to a Coffee Plantation called Cafe Brit, and had some very rich Fair Trade coffee there! I don't think I've ever drank better coffee better...


I got back to San Jose around 3ish, to get a call from Oscar about a "mehenge" at the University of Costa Rica... So I caught a bus, and took part in the 4v4 indoor futbol match... The game was very fast paced, and I played some of my best futbol yet! I lost count of how many goals I scored, and our team won 12 to 11... I intend to play again this Wednesday... After the game Oscar took me on a tour around the University of Costa Rica... It is the biggest university of Costa Rica, with over 30,000 students... It has dorms, many buildings, a strip of bars, and offers practically every major... it reminds me of one of the Big Ten schools back at home... yet nothing compared to good ole IU!

No comments: