Friday, June 5, 2009

Costa Rica vs USA

I went to the big World Cup Qualifying game this past Wednesday with Humberto & Don Humberto... We had been talking about this for the past 2 months now, and the evening had finally arrived... So we got there early to get some good seats, and the place was already packed with loud and proud Ticos... I myself was undecided who to cheer for, more interested in watching a good game... By about 7:30pm, the stadium was packed full of Ticos in red... the place was literally shaking, with 23,000 fans singing in unison; "Vamos... Vamos, Ticos... Esta Noche... Vamos a Ganar!" it was pretty cool and quite an incredible sight... Yet once the game kicked off, Costa Rica scored 2 minutes into the match, and the place went berserk... and I'm not sure what happened, but after that goal, I felt a sudden strong desire to root for my home country... Maybe it was the constant heckling of the Tico fans, calling our players "Hijos de Putas" ... not sure what it was, but for the first time in a long while, I was cheering for something to do with America! Yet as things would go, USA never had control in the game... they played timidly, afraid of the shaking stadium... We loss 3-1... Yet although I was disappointed with the outcome, it was still an unforgettable experience; to see such a passionate stadium and witness such high caliber players...
-More pictures to come on this one; The stadium wouldn't allow me to bring batteries?.. So I had to pull 'em out of my camera and couldn't take any pictures, but Humberto took lots...

1 comment:

Pablo Ramos said...

this was a sad game. Freddy Adu should have started. We just didn't play defense the whole fucking game. The first goal there wasn't a defender within a mile of him and he had like 10 minutes to shoot. If it wasn't for Howard the score would have been 5-1!!! Bro I'm a hard line USA fan. I shared your pain that evening. Don't worry we'll get them back. We don't have to agree with our government but we can still cheer for our homegrown boys!!! USA!!!! U-S-A!!!!!!!!