Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Back in the States

So after 3 months of living in an entirely different country I have finally returned back to the states, home here at Keikionga... Kind of unsure what to think so far, but I am very happy to see dad, Gabriel & Andres once again... The place is about the same, except for the immense heat, yellow paint, and my room that seems to have turned into a giant messy closet over the past 3 months... I'm honestly not sure what's next... Whatever it is, I hope it happens fast!


The last week in Costa Rica was good.. Madre & Jackie came to visit, and we saw some things... I took them to La Fortuna, on a 5 hour bus ride through the mountains... I don't think they enjoyed the ride as much as I did... we got there late, and unfortanetly Arenal was quite cloudy... yet we got to a resort deep in the forest called, "Linda Vista del Norte" which was simply breath-taking... On one side was Lake Arenal and the other was the mountain range... we had a very fancy dinner at night, with some good cocktails... the pina colada hit madre a little too hard, and she had to wipe out around 7... me and Jack hit up the pool, swam up to the bar, and had some beers, while we watched the lava flowing down from the volcano... It was quite incredible and I'm very happy I finally got to see lava... The next morning we had some good gallo pinto, took a dip, and then left the hotel...

Later that day I took them to the Catarata, but it became more of a headache than anything... We were quite short on time to begin with, and the place was extremely packed with people... when me and jack went to take a dip in the cold water, a group of tourists accidentally grabbed my bag... talk about panic! This bag had everything in it, my life! (passport, wallet, camera, etc..) So we had to chase the group up the long stairway to retrieve the bag... after all this chaos, we hopped on a bus to San Carlos to visit Dona Janette... she cooked us a good lunch, and I said goodbye to her... I'll miss that old lady, she was like a grandma... I think Madre, Jack, and Grill are going to visit her this weekend though, so thats good!

That night we went to a Venezuelan party, at Daisy's house, which had some good mariachis performing... we had several drinks, some good appetizers, and spaghetti paella for dinner... the next day Humberto took us to see Volcan Poaz, yet we had terrible luck, and the entire thing was clouded... we didn't get to see the crater... though we did get to see the famous ox-cart, coffee plantations, and had an incredible lunch! Later that night, we went to a party at Don Humberto's house... the entire family was there, and I said my goodbyes to the family...

On Sunday we went to church with Don Humberto & Dona Nurria, and then went over to their house to have some juice... Nurria showed us her incredible crafts collection... after this we had a good soup that Queta made, then took Humberto to the airport... We spent the evening at home that night... The next day I took madre & Jack to San Jose to do some shopping and see Avenida Central... We spent several hours walking up and down the avenue getting souvenirs, presents, and what-not... that night we made hot-dogs for dinner, and then went out for a final bash in Costa Rica with Queta and Daisy... We were a group of only Venezuelans, and not a single Tico... It was an all out "Rumbia"... lots of drinks, dance, and craziness... a very fun night! I've definetly come to the conclusion that Venezuelans just know how to have a better time than Ticos...

Though in the end I have no regrets... it was an incredible experience that has shown me so much... it was exactly what I needed in my life, and has opened my eyes to a side of me I often forget... a side of me, that I want to continue to discover and partake in... Latin culture, is just too much fun to let go, and one day I intend to make it out to Venezuela, Panama, Columbia, Argentina, Brasil, Chile, and so forth to experience every aspect of Latin-America... Costa Rica will always have a place in my heart... the biggest lesson I learned here was that life is more important than possessions! That life shouldn't be taken so serious... to be grateful and happy for what you have... their motto says it all... "Pura-Vida!"

No comments: