Sunday, December 21, 2008

The 50 Greats: 50-46

50. Radiohead

Trippy Sounds in Chicago
Genre: Rock
Years Active: 1993-present
Key Songs: "High and Dry", "Fake Plastic Trees", "The Drugs Don't Work"

Radiohead has a nice chilled soft-rock sound to it, with a hint of psychedelic. Their music always reminds me of Chicago for some reason. Riding the CTA, Grant Park, Chilling with Lauren... Thom Yorke pretty much highlights the band with his trippy vocals and lyrics, which I think are a pretty similar sound to Coldplay.



49. U2

The Ultimate Activist Band
Genre: Rock
Active Years: 1976-present
Key Songs: "City of Blinding Lights", "Beautiful Day", "Stuck in a Moment"

Bono pretty much makes the band with his passionate lead vocals, his activist approach towards helping humanity, and of course he always has the sweetest shades. the Edge is also a pretty stellar guitar player!Add Image



48. Three Dog Night


Bringing Joy to the World
Genre: Classic Rock
Years Active:1968-Present
Key Songs: "Shambala", "Joy to the World", "Mama Told me not to Come"

When I think of Three Dog Night, I think of Forrest Gump, "Jeremiah was a Bullfrog!" and countless jamming songs. They're the type of lively rock music that you can get up and just let loose. With a swampy-bluesy sound to it, Three Dog Night mixes rock with some soul and just makes it work!



47. Marvin Gaye

The King of Motown
Genre: Soul
Years Active: 1958-1984
Key Songs: "Star-Spangled Banner", "What's going On", "Let's get it On"

Marvin had such an amazing voice... you just can't help but like his smooth soulful music. I've always appreciated his sound, but had never considered him a great until I saw a video of him singing the National Anthem at an NBA Basketball game. It was unlike any version I'd ever seen before, full of heart, good rhythm, and impeccable originality. Never had I seen such a unique interpretation of the song, perhaps maybe Jimi Hendrix at Woodstock. I also think of Marvin Gaye, as well as Aretha Franklin, as important key voices in the Civil Rights Movement. His music was Original, Soulful, and so very Passionate!

46. Neil Young

Squeaky Voiced Hippy
Genre: Classic Rock
Years Active: 1960-present
Key Songs: "Cortez the Killer", "Ohio", "Heart of Gold"

I first was amazed by Neil Young's unique style in his early hippy days with Crosby, Stills, and Nash. That band had some of the most amazing acoustic harmony I'd ever heard. Then he broke off on his own, and continue to amaze with his album "After the Gold Rush". His squeaky voice is what makes his music most unique. Many may say it is a terrible sound, but I think of it as an innovative sound. When I think of Neil Young, i think of good lyrics, and good classic jamming.

No comments: