Monday, December 29, 2008

The 50 Greats: 25-21

25. Creedence Clearwater Revival
American Rock n Roll
Genre: Classic Rock
Years Active: 1967-1972
Key Songs: “Have you Ever seen the Rain”, “Bad Moon Rising”, “Fortunate Son”
If someone were to ask me to best describe American Rock n Roll, I would always think of CCR as the defining sound. I consider CCR as the American answer to the British invasion of the 60s. Lead by their primary guitarist and lyricist, John Fogerty, the band introduced a basic yet unique rock and roll style that became the defining sound of American rock and roll culture. Fogerty brought a ragged sound of swamp rock mixed with country rock, some jagged vocals, strong lyrics, and some heavy jamming. CCR’s music is pretty basic for the most part. Songs like “Have you ever seen the Rain”, “Proud Mary”, and “Bad Moon Rising” have been standards when it’s time to do some singing or jamming.
24. John Mayer
Bluesy Pop Rockstar
Genre: Rock
Years Active: 1998-Present
Key Songs: “Heart of Life”, “Waiting on the World to Change”, “Your Body is a Wonderland”
When I first heard John Mayer’s music, I did not know what to think. I was a senior in high school, and my art teacher would always play his album, “Room for Squares”. Although I never really minded the music, I remember all the girls were in love with him, and I began to think his songs were very popish. Especially songs like, “…I wanna run through the halls of my high school, I want to scream at the top of my lungs!” So it wasn’t until I got to college, during my sophomore year, that I began to see the other side of John Mayer, much thanks to Lauren. I found his newer music to be pretty chilled and very bluesy. When I later began to understand more of music, I learned of his story in which he dropped out of college and moved to New Orleans to get a more authentic taste of the Blues. I immediately began to respect John Mayer more as a musician. Although he still produces many pop-sounding songs, I cannot deny his skill on the guitar, along with his soothing sound, chilled rhythm, and simply good vocals.
23. Daft Punk
Electro
Genre: Electronica
Years Active: 1993-Present
Key Songs: “Around the World”, “One More Time”, “Harder, Stronger, Faster”
This French Techno group has been around for a while, and I have not really come to appreciate them until this past year. Their electronic style has it all; trance, power, rhythm, bass, and heavy visual components. I think it’s really awesome when a band can create some sort of concept or theme to their music, like the Beatles did with “Sergeant Pepper” or The Who did with “Tommy”. Daft Punk brings trippy visuals to their music with futuristic robotic themes. Their music is no doubt the music of the future. It can be uplifting at times yet also very transcending. Songs like, “Around the World” or “One More Time” are two of my favorite techno songs that just always get me going.
22. 112
High School Years
Genre: R&B
Years Active: 1998-Present
Key Songs: “Letter”, “Peaches and Cream”, “Cupid”
If I were to best describe my musical tastes of high school, the example I would give would be of 112. This R&B quartet had the rhythm, beat, and harmony that always put me in the right mood. In those days the music of 112 was the essence of cruising, chasing girls, partying, and just having a good time. It mostly reminds me of my junior and senior years with Palms, Serg, Kleeber, Brittany, Jill, and Jaybo. We were a very tight group in those days, and the album “Part III” was our jam. Whether it was cruising in Serg’s blazer or drinking at Palmer’s place, we had this entire album memorized and would always sing it at the top of our lungs. Although my tastes have recently moved away from R&B, I will always love 112 for its pastime significance in my life.
21. Jimi Hendrix
The Guitar God
Genre: Classic Rock
Years Active: 1966-1970
Key Songs: “The Wind Cries Mary”, “Hey Joe”, “Red House”
Jimi Hendrix had a guitar skill that simply cannot be matched. The thing that made him so great was that he introduced all sorts of new original sounds and techniques by infusing the blues with rock and roll. He took blues-rock to a new and higher level, with more passionate, daring, and flamboyant leads. His style to me is a free one, generally based in his guitar, which almost always brought heavy psychedelic tones. He had a distinctive deep voice that went well with his heavy experimental sounds. Some may argue that BB King, Clapton, or Page could challenge him, but I feel that Hendrix had a certain freeness to his music that can never be matched, and it is a shame he had to die at such an early age.

No comments: