Monday, December 22, 2008

The 50 Greats: 45-41

45. The Smashing Pumpkins
Alternative Psychedelic Rock
Genre: Alternative Rock
Years Active: 1988-Present
Key Songs: “Tonight, Tonight”, “Killer in Me”, “1979”
The first time I experienced the music of the Smashing Pumpkins I was too young to appreciate their psychedelic style. I remember watching a very trippy video and thought they were just nuts. Yet years later, after I had gained an appreciation for psychedelic classic bands like Pink Floyd, Zeppelin, and The Doors I realized Smashing Pumpkins was a modern offshoot of that style, with a mid 90s alternative sound to it. With the abstract lead vocals of Billy Corgan, and some good trippy jamming, Smashing Pumpkins offer a blend of chilled yet sometimes heavy alternative rock music, and are probably my only alternative band that I really enjoy.
44. Sting
Bringing in the New Wave
Genre: New Wave
Years Active: 1974-present
Key Songs: “Desert Rose”, “Fields of Gold”, “Englishman in New York”
Sting along with his Police, introduced a new more modern sound to Rock n Roll. It’s a sound they call New Wave, which basically moved away from the traditional rock and roll sound and mixed different styles together. They blend good vocals, with a jazzy, reggae rhythm and an ambient background and somehow make good rocking music out of it. I generally like to think of Sting as a very relaxing, easy listening artist, but often he’s got some more upbeat songs that still seem to work!
43. Van Morrison
Van the Man
Genre: Folk Rock
Years Active: 1958-Present
Key Songs: “Into the Mystic”, “Dancing in the Moonlight”, “Wild Nights”
I remember the first Van Morrison song that I was really moved by was “Into the Mystic” in the movie “American Wedding”. After that I began a new appreciation for this deep voiced folksy rock artist. He brings a wide array of sound, yet I mostly think of his music as chill, soothing, and just good easy listening, that is attributed to his raspy deep voice.
42. BB King
The King of Blues
Genre: Blues
Years Active: 1947-Present
Key Songs: “There is Something on your Mind”, “The Thrill is Gone”, “Lucille”
When it comes to the Blues, there is nobody who better represents the genre then BB King. He sings with a strong voice, and jams with incredible improvisation. One thing I’ve always liked about his music is that it’s got an unrehearsed sound to it. Like it’s all just free flow jamming. Another thing I’ve recently noticed is that he often tells a story in his music. Like in “Lucille”, which pretty much is a whole song of him just raving about his guitar. He’s got that ideal bluesy voice, and can somehow make howling and ranting, into soulful, passionate, and flat-out good music!
41. Tom Petty
Heartbreaking Midwest Music
Genre: Classic Rock
Years Active: 1971-Present
Key Songs: “Free Falling”, “Won’t Back Down”, “Something in the Air”
Tom Petty brings a unique blend of folksy rock with some vibrant energy. He has a very distinctive raspy voice that is the trademark of his style. I can’t help but think of him along with his Heartbreakers as the defining music of the Midwest… I remember him as a kid, watching his music videos, most notably the hit song, “Free Falling”. I remember the first time I gained an appreciation for his music was when he referenced the state of Indiana in his song, “Last Dance with Mary Jane”… As a kid I thought that was the coolest thing ever. I still have continued to gain an appreciation for his music, and hope to see him in concert sometime soon.

2 comments:

laurlaur said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
laurlaur said...

I am glad to see you have Van Morrison on the list. GREAT artist. One of my favorite Morrison songs is And it Stoned Me. Check it out.

Also, I would have put Petty higher up on the list...