Monday, November 1, 2010

Philip and Shawnna's Wedding

This past October has been the craziest month ever, and I'll begin with the main event...

The main event was of course, Philip and Shawnna's Wedding on October 16th... Yet before we got to that date, it took lots of preparation. I arrived home a week before the wedding to help my family get everything ready. This included getting the house ready for the Rehearsal Dinner, making a slide show, making CDs, and running lots of errands. From Monday to Friday, there was hardly a free moment, with our house constantly full of people working.

So after days, weeks, and months of preparation, the big weekend finally came, and it was a total success! For the Rehearsal Dinner we had Venezuelan food, a keg, a slide show presentation on the big screen, ten tables, a music stage, a bonfire, and fireworks from Rager. I'd say around 50-60 people showed up that brisk evening, and everything went very smoothly.

On the Wedding Day, I couldn't help but feel the pressures of being the Best Man kick in. I was a little on edge that morning, and forgot my shirt at home. Luckily my mom came to the rescue and brought it for me. The ceremony was quick yet went perfectly, and it was so amazing standing by Philip's side, and giving him his wedding rings.

After the ceremony we took many pictures, yet I was more concerned about the Trolley Ride. I put together a cooler of beer, and loaded it up into the trolley, and also provided a good Irish CD for the ride. The ride was extremely fun, and we made many stops along the way. Such as a stop at the liquor store to get more beer and champagne, a stop at Foster Park to take some fun pictures and smoke cigars, a stop at Gily's place to get a Salsa CD, and a stop by our old neighborhood of Park Avenue. Once the ride was over, I was feeling good and relaxed...

Entering the reception we came upon a small problem of what to do with the cooler of beer. Luckily at that precise moment, Ben Franke came to the rescue and took the cooler to his car. We then made our glorious entrance into the Botanical Gardens, with good style... The layout was very spacious outside, and the weather couldn't be more perfect for the evening. After dinner, Stef gave her toast, and I gave my toast. I must confess that I was dreading the speech, yet when the moment finally came, I felt extremely comfortable and spoke from the heart. After the formal dinner, the party really kicked off with good music, good drinks, and lots of dancing!!
It was so amazing knowing practically everyone at the party, and for that reason can say it was easily the funnest wedding I've ever been to!

After the reception, we walked to the hotel around 12ish, for an epic after-party. By this point I must confess that things are a little fuzzy, yet I have gathered many perspectives on how things played out. I do remember walking into the room, and being amazed at how many people were packed into this room. It was a lounge with a table, couch, kitchen, some chairs, fireplace, and a fold-out bed. As soon as we got there, I remember making a hard effort with Stefanie to find Philip and Shawnna, who had already went to their room. We were unable to track them down, so we got straight to the party. This consisted of shots with Rager, and some intense flippy cup action. We played friends vs. family, and this caused some serious competition. By about the third game, things had gotten extremely loud and rowdy, and my dad was forced to kick out the friends. I was upset to see them go, yet also understood that at this point it was a family thing. Some friends did stick around such as Clint and Bridget Glissman, one of Philip's old high school friends. Bridget by this point had somehow become a shinning focal point of the night... Shortly after the friends got kicked out, Jhormy and Peter had an argument, of which lead to my dad having to kick them out. They later settled their dispute and came back in. Things started dying out around 4ish... At this point the last ones hanging out were, myself, dad, Bridget, John, Danny, Kevin, Jenny, Peter, Jhormy, and Clint. Bridget could not find her keys that night, which caused an extreme panic for everybody. I was asleep by this point, and turns out that I had them in my pocket the whole time. In an incredible twist, turns out that Reggie had found them earlier that night on the dance floor, gave them to the DJ, the DJ gave them to me, and I then put them in my pocket and never knew whose they were until the next morning... Dad has been perplexed by this night, and has not stopped talking about its mysteriousness ever since... All-in-all I'd say it was an extremely memorable night, full of mystery, drama, and great fun with great people...

The next morning was difficult for the Brunch, and it was obvious that everyone was tired and hungover. It was mostly family that came over for the breakfast... Philip and Shawnna opened their presents, and everyone shared their stories about the crazy night. After family had left, I volunteered as Best Man to return the tuxes, which proved to be another task in tracking them all down. Once this was accomplished, I was happy to finally sit back on the couch and take a deep breath... The wedding was a memorable success!

No comments: