Friday, April 24, 2009

Museo de Arte y Diseno Contemporaneo

So for the past month now, I have worked at the Museo de Arte y Diseno Contemporaneo. It is a museum of contemporary art, located in the center of San Jose... It was just the kind of work I was looking for. I began by working with the custodians, mostly just talking about "Tico Culture"... After that for the next few weeks I worked in the offices translating Spanish into English... Everyone there was very friendly and welcoming to me; Here is a quick recap of my fellow co-workers...



First there was Marco, who works as the web designer... He is a guy I have come to know in and outside of the museum, since he is dating Annette... He is a very crazy guy, like a monkey, loves to sing and dance, and is also very artistic... He actually has a piece on display right now at the museum... He was the one I did my majority of work for... and I know I will not be seeing the last of him...

Then there was Antionette, an always energetic and bouncy little girl... She was the first one I greeted each morning to catch up and talk about whatever... She worked in the video library and also as a tour guide... She was very friendly to me...

There was Fabrescio, in charge of the custodians... He was young to have such a managerial position, and was also busy... Yet he was also very calm and "tranquillo"... I did some work with for him in the beginning, yet didn't get to talk with him as much as I would of liked...

Then there was Alex, a custodian who always liked to joke... He had such a positive energy, and was a typical "Tico"... He wanted me to join him on a worker's strike my 2nd day, and I would have had I not shown up a little late that day...

There was Diego, one of my favorite of the custodians, 27 years old... I related with him the most, since he was closest to my age... I talked with him more than anyone else, and we talked about practically everything, yet mostly about women...

There was Turu, who was also one of my favorite custodians... He was from the beaches of Guanacaste, and as calm as they came. He spoke with a different dialect than the rest, yet he was always in a good mood. I plan on going out to drink with he and Diego next week...

There was Sandra, the cleaning lady, who I believe was a Nicaraguan.. She was extremely friendly, always practicing her English with me, and offering me snacks and fruits...

There was Adrianna, the graphic artist... She was the loud one in the offices, covered in tattoos, yet also very friendly...

There was Eddy, the accountant... always extremely happy, and greeted me with a good hand shake every day... Although i hardly ever got to get more than 5 words to him, he was always shaking my hand, patting me on the back, and making me feel extremely welcome..

There was Fernando, another custodian and another typical Tico, always happy and always making me feel very welcome...

There was Jhonny, another custodian who always had a smile on his face.. I had several conversations with him in the halls, about all types of stuff...

There was Julio, the maintenance man, extremely large, yet also extremely relaxed... i hardly got to know him, yet he greeted me daily...

And many others who I saw from time to time, always very kind to me!

The MADC will always have a place in my heart... Through the art I was able to better understand the true terror of globalization and capitalism... That Latin America is a beautiful natural world full of rich culture and heritage, yet has sadly been infiltrated by the dollar... I took in so much "Tico" culture here and I intend to visit the museum several more times over the next 2 months...

No comments: