Sunday, July 11, 2010

World Cup 2010

So after a month of intense futbol action, the World Cup has finally come to an end. I must first say that I am very regretful that I was unable to watch as many games as I had in the past, due to work... Nonetheless I did my best to follow the highlights, stats, and stories on a daily basis. I often did watch some of the games on the internet before work or during my lunch break. As well as the USA games at the Nickle Plate Bar here in Fishers... So here is my summary of the high and low lights of the South African World Cup...

South Africa: I think South Africa did a fine job as hosts... Sure the weather was cold, the ball was unpredictable, and the vuzuzelas would never shut the hell up! Yet none of this affected actual game-play, because both sides had the exact same disadvantages... I think it is weak for coaches, athletes, and fans to blame their losses on one of these three factors. The South African nation was very passionate about their futbol, and almost always filled up their venues... It's a shame that South Africa was unable to move out of the second round, and an even more shame that Ghana was robbed from making it to the semi-finals...

Portugal: My favorite team coming into the cup, did well yet could have done better. To be fair though, they hardly qualified for the tournament to begin with, and still managed to make it to the second round. Much of Portugal's attention went to their star, C. Ronaldo, and it bothers me that they always find a way to make him look bad. So he cried after losing to Spain, who wouldn't... Just goes to show his passion for the game and his country. Although I wanted to predict Portugal winning it all, I knew it was a long shot. At least they can say they scored the most goals in a single match!

France & Italy: What disappointment! First most with France, who showed up to South Africa with the wrong mindset. Team drama and squabbling amongst one another and their coaches, went to show the world how under-prepared this team really was. There was a serious lack of unity and chemisty for the France squad, and for this reason they never won a single game. Then there was Italy who was just as disappointing being the World Cup defending champions. For them it was perhaps bad luck, and a lack of desire. They were in a very easy group, and should have had 9 points, yet instead finished at the bottom of their group. What shame for France and Italy, two powerhouses who finished at the bottom of the pile...

USA: As always I am very skeptical about USA soccer. Yet it's still the one time I become truly patriotic, and cant help myself but cheer for them body-and-soul... Well sad to say this cup was no different, than the many other times I have cheered for team USA... Sure they surprised me in the England-USA match, where I thought England would destroy them. Instead they tied in a 1-1 draw, and played a very well possessed game. Then came their 2-2 draw with Slovenia, and their dramatic victory against Algeria. I thought coming into the 2nd round USA would have all the momentum in the world, yet go figure, they were quickly pounced on by Ghana, and went back to their usual game play; sloppy, uncontrolled, counter-attack, and a serious lack of possession...

Argentina: Diego Maradona... What can I say, he sadly stole the show for this team, who could have and should have won it all... His attention seeking style, brought him more press than anyone else on the team. They still played an amazing first 3 games, and an easy victory over Mexico in the second round. After the group stage, they seemed to be the favorites to win it all... Then came their quarter-final match against Germany who played some of the most perfect futbol I had ever seen and destroyed them 4-0... And just like that Argentina was out of the cup. Lionel Messi may have not scored a goal, yet he still played incredible futbol, with great passing and some stellar assists. Although it was a disappointing finish for the young Messi, I'm sure he'll get a few more chances...

Uruguay: I would say this team was the surprise of the Cup... It's funny because long ago they were once a powerhouse, winning the finals twice back in the 30s. Well here in South Africa they once again found their rhythm with some upsetting victories against South Africa, Mexico, Korea... Forlan and Suarez stole the show as the headliners... Then came their quater-final matchup against Ghana, which sadly to say turned me against my fellow South Americans... Suarez' handball in the final minute of extra-time, proved to be the deciding factor in their cheap victory over Ghana... As happy as I am that a South American team made it to the semi-finals, I must say it belonged more to Ghana...

Germany: Wow they played amazing and intense futbol. All-in-all just a fun team watch, with many goal scorers. Such as Podolski, Klose, Ozul, and Mueller... They are a fast striking and hard-playing team. I didn't watch the game against Serbia, yet am very confused as to how they could have lost. Their second round game against England may have been slightly skewed due to a bad referee call, yet they still easily won the game. Then came their even more impressive victory against Argentina. After this game, I felt no team could have beaten Germany. Then they somehow turned off this intensity during the semi-final match against Spain. They still went on to win 3rd place, yet for the 3rd cup in a row, Germany has fallen so close to winning the entire thing.

Netherlands: Back in the springtime my good friend, Karlan kept asking me to make a prediction of who would win it all, and after much thought I went with the Netherlands. I have always been a fan of Dutch futbol, dating back to the France Cup of 98, with great players like Bergkamp, Kluviert, van Nistelrooy and Edgar Davids... and I remember it being the first real soccer jersey I ever bought. So I thought to myself why not, they look good on paper, so this may finally be their year... After watching their undefeated performance in the group stage, I began to think they may pull it off. They astonished me even further after defeating Brazil... I only actually watched them play in the finals against Spain, where I was quite impressed with this incredibly fast team, with great speed from their stars, Robben and Sneijder... They had their many chances throughout the game, yet sadly fell short to Spain in the end...


Spain: The Red Furry, were predicted by many to win it all, including K-man... I had my doubts, thinking they would choke as they always do during Cup time yet I was quite wrong. Although they got off to a rough start against Switzerland, they found their rhythm in the games to follow, always winning by a close margin. I was especially bitter towards Spain, when they beat Portugal in the second round. After wards I constantly rooted against them. Let me make it clear that I have nothing against Spain whatsoever... I just happened to prefer the teams they played against, such as Portugal, Paraguay, Germany, and the Netherlands. The team is extremely talented, and they played a well hard-fought final. The game was quite intense, back and forth, and could have gone anyway, yet it was Spain who finally capitalized in the last minutes of extra time. To see the town square of Madrid, full of hundreds of thousands of people celebrating truly made their victory quite alright by me... It is reasons like this that I love the World Cup!!

No comments: