Friday, July 30, 2010

Godfather Phase

When there's something I really like, I get fixated upon it. Obsessed with it for a good period of time. This obsession is usually triggered by an event, a game, movie, song, or some form of art. I call them phases, and I often find myself going from one to the other. I get home from work and this certain phase that I am in, is my escape from reality! Such as a Batman phase, or an Opera phase, or a French Culture phase, or a World Cup phase. I think the best way to really appreciate something is to take it in over a period of time. Well over the past month now it's been a Godfather phase. I've always enjoyed the series (perhaps not 3 as much) but ever since I came upon the game, I've submerged deeper than ever into the series.

The game is incredible, and a highly recommend it for anyone who appreciates the series or just some good gaming. It's set up just like Grand-Theft-Auto, with free-reign to do just as you wish. Its set in New York City in the 1940s, just like the movie, with a very detailed map of the neighborhoods (Brooklyn, Little Italy, Hell's Kitchen, Midtown, and even Jersey)... The graphics are amazing really capturing that 1940s appeal, from the cars, the clothes, the buildings, and so forth. Then comes the actual game-play sending you on missions all throughout the city, where you can high-jack cars, and whack big enemies from the movie. The object of the game is to gain respect by exhorting businesses, taking over rackets, and defeating the other rival families. The game has practically all the original characters from the movie besides Michael Corleone. It's quite an addictive game, and even once you complete all the missions, you can continue to play through tons of side-missions.

So The Godfather has always been a favorite of mine. One of my top ten favorite movies of all time. So I gotta ask myself, what exactly is the appeal. Well here it is: First most it's the setting. 1930s, 1940s, 1950s... Back in the era of "sophisticated cool"... Sure it was a time of depression and war, but lets face it they just had style back in those days. Whether you were a corrupt politician, a crooked cop, a sly journalist, or a mafioso everyone seemed to have character. The suits, ties, and of course the trade-mark fedoras. Then there was the music, the swinging jazz and the big bands, Miles Davis, Frank Sinatra, Louis Armstrong. And the Golden Age of Hollywood with big name actors like Humphrey Bogart and Rita Hayworth. The Godfather manages to intertwine all of this appeal
into a story set in New York City.

Beyond the story and the setting of the Godfather is the phenomenal on-screen cast that was assembled. Starting with Marlon Brando as the Godfather himself, Vito Corleone, who created an Oscar-worthy character. The Don's hoarse voice, has become a trademark symbol of the Godfather. He was also portrayed by Robert DeNiro in the second film, this time showing us the roots of the Vito, which also won DeNiro an Oscar. Then there is my favorite character Tom Hagen, the family's consigliere, played by Robert DuVall, who epitomizes the term "sophisticated cool.. One of my favorite parts in the first film is when Hagen threatens the Hollywood director, and then has the nerve to shake his hand and tell him "I'm a big fan of your movies". Then there is the hot-tempered son, Sonny, played by James Caan. Caan brings great passion to Sonny's role as the under-boss of the family. Then there is the weak son, Fredo, also played magnificently by John Cazale (especially in the second film). Finally there is the young Michael Corleone who takes over the family, played by Al Pacino. Pacino surely deserved an Oscar for his portrayal if not in the first film, definitely in the second film, where he played one of the coldest-hearted villains in movie history.

Yet the biggest appeal to me beyond the cool setting, the amazing story, and the great acting, is an underlying theme that speaks dearly to me... and that's the importance of family. The Corleones have created a family entity, where they conduct their business through an extensive network of family ties, and they make sure they stay loyal and respectful to one another. Sure this theme is completely demolished in the second movie when Michael has his brother Fredo killed. Yet even with this one major event, the Godfather series is all about family!


I leave you with some classic Godfather lines:

"...I'm gunna make him an 'offer he can't refuse..." Don Vito

"Narcotics is a piece of the future. If we don't get a piece of that action, we risk everything we have." Tom Hagen

"A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man." Don Vito

"Whatya gonna do? Nice college boy, eh? Don't wanna get mixed up in the family business? Now you wanna gun down a police captain because he slapped you in the face a little bit, huh? Whatya think this is, the Army, where you shoot 'em a mile away? You gotta get up close like this... badaBING! You blow their brains all over your nice Ivy League Suit. C'mere... you're taking this very personal."
Sonny

"My father taught me many things... keep your friends close, but your enemies closer." Michael

"We're part of the same hypocrisy senator. But never think it applies to my family." Michael

"I know it was you Fredo. You Broke my heart. You broke my heart." Michael

"I'm your older brother, Mike, and I was stepped over! I can handle things, I'm smart, not like everybody says. Not dumb, I'm smart, and I want respect!" Fredo

No comments: