Monday, December 14, 2009

Invictus

I didn't waste anytime to see this one, opening night, and I must say that it truly met my expectations! I think I can already say it is my favorite movie of the year, and should easily be nominated for several Academy Awards. First for director Clint Eastwood, who has now established himself as one of the best directors of our time. Over the past few years he has released a string of successful dramas, starting with Mystic River(2003), Million Dollar Baby (2004), Letters of Iwo Jima (2006), Changeling (2008), Gran Torino (2008), and now this one. I think the thing that makes him so good is that he is just great at telling stories! Then there is Morgan Freeman, Eastwood's equally talented friend. He is one of the most likable characters in film, and plays the part of Nelson Mandela to perfection. Finally even Matt Damon, an actor of which I have always had low regards for, comes through as a South African Rugby player. He must of put on 20 pounds of muscle, and truly looks and speaks the part with a passionate South African persona.

The story itself is all based on true history, set in 1995 during the South African apartheid. Mandela is the newly elected president and seeks a way to unite the whites and the blacks. He does this through the Rugby World Cup, and encourages team captain Francios Pienaar to not only lead his team, but to set an example for the entire country. The team quickly gains momentum and success throughout the early stages, and soon become contenders against the stronger countries. In the final match they face the All-Blacks of New Zealand in a very intense match. The film does an incredible job of actually putting you there in the stadium in the midst of the action. Never have I appreciated the sport of Rugby until now. Along with the great acting, and amazing visuals, its just an all around inspiring story, that I think everybody should watch.

No comments: