Monday, December 7, 2009

All Eyes on South Africa

To my knowledge the World Cup is the most followed sporting event in the world, surpassing even the Olympics and the Super Bowl... For this reason it is no surprise that all eyes have recently turned to South Africa, this summer's host of the 2010 World Cup. Although it's still a good 6 months away, I myself have been caught up in the hype. With the recent group selections, and the unveiling of the new game ball, it seems all the closer. Then there's this new Nelson Mandela movie coming out this winter, Invictus, which will gives us a good taste of South African history and culture. Over the next few months I'm very excited to learn about this country. I've even considered buying a plane ticket to Cape Town, yet not sure if I could afford it... (We shall see) For now though all I can do is wait for that first opening game on June 4th between South Africa and Mexico. It's still a while, but I definitely have lots to keep me busy in the meantime... Here's a look at the Groups... I intend to make predictions as the Cup gets closer...

Group A: South Africa, Mexico, Uruguay, France (Another strong group)
Group B: Argentina, Nigeria, Korea, Greece
Group C: England, United States, Algeria, Slovenia
Group D: Germany, Australia, Serbia, Ghana
Group E: Netherlands, Denmark, Japan, Cameroon
Group F: Italy, Paraguay, New Zealand, Slovakia
Group G: Brazil, Korea DPR, Cote d'Ivoire, Portugal (The Group of Death)
Group H: Spain, Switzerland, Honduras, Chile

No comments: