Saturday, August 29, 2009

Taking Woodstock

It's been a while since I've been pleased at the theaters, but I can gladly say I was again after walking out of Taking Woodstock. It tells the story of Eliot Tiber and the development process of one of the greatest concerts in American history... Now to really enjoy this movie you have to have the right expectations, otherwise you might be disappointed... luckily I read some critic reviews before I saw it... Had I not done any research I'm sure I would of walked into that theater expecting to see full dramatic coverage of the concert, and i would have been disappointed because this movie doesn't show the concert... Matter of fact, it hardly has any music at all from the concert... Instead the entire story revolves around Eliot Tiber, a Jewish kid trying to come to terms with himself, in the backdrop of Woodstock... He was the key liaisons in bringing the concert to Bethel, New York. Other notable roles are Emile Hirsch, as a crazy Vietnam vet and Liev Schreiber as a transvestite... The movie is just easy and fun to watch with a great story, great setting, and some great visuals... (Though be warned, there is a lot of frontal-nudity) The hands-down best scene of the movie is when Eliot joins two other hippies on an acid trip outside of the concert... The scene takes you on a pyschedelic roller coaster, and lets you experience what was really happening in those fields... If you have any appreciation whatsoever for the 1960s Counter-Culture and the legacy of the Woodstock Festival, than I highly recommend this movie!

No comments: