Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Running, Cycling & Swimming

Well I've decided to tuck away the running shoes for awhile and take on some new exercise hobbies... Swimming and Cycling... I've been running competitively for the past 10 years now, and am ready for something different... a new way to get the cardio-exercise that I always did with running... well, swimming and Cycling are just the sports to do that and both have their benefits! First there is the swimming.... Not only do you get in the cardio exercise, but you work every muscle on your body, burn lots of calories, and improve a technique that could someday save your life... plus its very refreshing during the hot summer days...

Then there is cycling which I prefer more than anything right now... Sure it's not as strenuous as running or swimming but it still has its perks... It tones the legs and buttocks, and improves the cardiovascular system... Just like any cardio-exercise, it all depends on how fast you move and how long you go for... This past week I've been averaging 8-10 mile bike rides.... the thing I especially love about cycling, is cranking away at the pedals, and reaching intense speeds! that feeling when you can coast for a while, and feel the cool air in your face... it's definitely worth the burn!

So with the start up of these two new hobbies, I've decided to take on a Triathlon! The date is set for August 22 in Indianapolis, about a month from this day... It's a Sprint Triathlon (500 meter swim, 10-mile bike, and 3-mile run)... Me and Palmer have already begun tense training... I've been lifting, swimming, biking, and playing soccer....I still need to buy some equipment such as a new bike, helmet, and some goggles for the water... I eventually hope to tackle an Olympic Size Triathlon, perhaps by the spring which consists of (1 mile swim, 25-mile bike, 6-mile run)... of course there is still much training to be done. In the meantime I'm keeping things short and simple... I'm trying to put together the first annual Sundberg Sprint Triathlon here at Kekionga! It will be held on August 8th and will consist of a 600 meter swim across the lake, 10 mile bike around the park and lake, and 3 mile run around the park & lake... it'll be good practice, and open to anyone who wants to give this thing a try!

No comments: