Saturday, January 4, 2014

2014 The Year of Soccer

Been a while since I've posted, and thought it was fitting to give an update as I begin a new year. Things are good, and I'm grateful for everything I have, especially my job at Dow Agro. Over the past few weeks, an old passion of mine, has been re-awakened; my love for all things soccer.

Since the Detroit Lions, completely crumbled in the second half of the season, I've moved my attention away from the NFL and on to European Soccer. (I'll of course return to my Lions again come fall season). But for now it's on to the beautiful game.. Although it's not very popular here in the states, it's without question the most popular sport in the world. There are professional leagues all over the world, yet the best of the best play at the English Barclay's Premiere League, the European Champions League, and of course the big FIFA World Cup this summer in Brazil. 

I've always been a fan of international soccer, ever since I first saw a video highlight reel of the USA 94 World Cup. In the summer of 1998, I watched every game of the France World Cup, and was completely inspired by the sport. I had many favorite teams and players (Brazil, France, Portugal, Nigeria, Germany, Zidane, Ronaldo, Denilson, etc) I went on to play competitively in junior high and high school, and continued to play for fun throughout college and afterwards.

It wasn't until the 2006 Germany World Cup, while I was in college, that I began to understand the European clubs and how big they were. While the MLS can hardly sell out a stadium of 20,000, some European teams fill stadiums of over 90,000 in attendance. It's basically the equivalent to our NFL for them. This is because the clubs of Europe are supported by years of tradition, investments, the best skill quality, passionate fanbases, and a true love for the game of futbol (soccer). So here are best teams, leagues, and tournaments to watch.

Barclay's Premiere League
  • Manchester United: This is the team I've supported over the years, with a very exciting club and tradition. They're no doubt one of the most successful and dominant clubs in Europe and the Old Trafford has become known as a "theater of dreams".
  • Liverpool
  • Arsenal
  • Manchester City
  • Chelsea

Spanish La Liga
  • Barcelona: I've always known about this club as a kid, as my mom had Spanish friends, who sent us all sorts of Barcelona FC memorabilia. They're also one of the most dominant clubs in Spain and Europe, and have one of the greatest pl
    ayers in Lionel Messi. The Camp Nou is one of the biggest stadiums in Europe seating nearly 100,000.
  • Real Madrid: Probably one of the richest clubs, they've always managed to sign an All-star Roster, including my favorite player Cristiano Ronaldo. They also have one of the greatest rivalries in Europe with Barcelona.
  • Atletico Madrid
German Bundesliga


  • Bayern Munich: This team is currently one of the most unbeatable teams in Europe, with a very long tradition of success. They recently accomplished the rare treble of championship, by winning their Bundesliga, their domestic DFB Pokal Cup, and the intercontinental Champions League. 
  • Borussia Dortmund: Also a very successful club, with one of the loudest biggest stadiums in Europe, and arch-rivals to Bayern Munich. 

Italian Serie A
  • Inter Milan: Known about this team ever since Ronaldo played for them, and even have one of their jerseys.
  • AC Milan: Very successful Italian club, arch-rivals to Inter Milan
  • Juventus
  • Roma
  • Napoli
  • Fiorentina 
Champions League (16 finalist)
  • Bayern Munich (Germany)
  • Barcelona (Spain)
  • Real Madrid (Spain)
  • Manchester United (England)
  • Bayer Leverkusen (Germany)
  • Galatasary (Turkey)
  • Paris Saint Germain (France)
  • Manchester City (England)
  • Chelsea (England)
  • Schalke 04 (Germany)
  • Borussia Dortmund (Germany)
  • Arsenal (England)
  • Atletico Madrid (Spain)
  • Zenit St. Petersburg (Russia)
  • AC Milan (Italy)
  • Olympiakos (Greek) 

Brasil World Cup 2014

Group A  
  • Brazil: Host country, one of the favorites
  • Croatia
  • Mexico
  • Cameroon
Group B
  • Spain: One of the favorites to win it all, as the won the Euro 08, WC 10, Euro 12
  • Netherlands
  • Chile
  • Australia
Group C
  • Colombia: I'll be cheering for heritage sake
  • Greece
  • Ivory Coast
  • Japan
Group D
  • Uruguay
  • Costa Rica: They drew a very tough group, yet I'll cheer for them and sport my CR jersey
  • England
  • Italy
Group E
  • Switzerland
  • Ecuador
  • France: They just barely got in the cup, but I'll be watching my cousin's country
  • Honduras
Group F
  • Argentina: Lionel Messi's time to shine
  • Bosnia-Herzegovina
  • Iran
  • Nigeria: My favorite African team
Group G (Group of Death)
  • Germany: Another favorite to win it all
  • Portugal: Ronaldo's time to shine
  • Ghana
  • USA: Drew a tough group, yet I'll be cheering for my home country
Group H
  • Belgium
  • Algeria
  • Russia
  • Korea
I hope to catch every game this summer of the World Cup, however there's three teams I really intend to follow and support.
  • Portugal (Been a fan of them ever since my mom's friend Rita showered us with Portugal Soccer Memorabilia. Luis Figo and C. Ronaldo are two of my all time favorite players
  • USA (Although I'm quite embarrassed by US soccer, I can't help but cheer and support my home country come cup time)
  • Colombia (I'm never sure whether to consider myself Venezuelan/Colombian, since my mom was born in Colombia but was raised in Venezuela. Nonetheless they have a great team this year and I'll be supporting them for heritage sake.

No comments: