Sunday, September 27, 2009

Recent Movie Reviews

Here's a quick review of some movies I've seen lately... Some have been alright while others have just been flat-out terrible...

  • World Trade Center (F)
There is such a thing as too much drama, and I'm sorry to say Oliver Stone achieved that in this one. Sure we all know the story of the two police officers who made it alive out of the rubble... A miracle! Yet Oliver Stone, somehow manages to ruin their story by giving us 2 hours of extremely drawn out, up-and-down drama... Back and Forth of "We're going to make it, and we're not going to make it..."... The movie is extremely dramatic on every aspect! For a movie entitled World Trade Center, I wanted to see some depth and substance concerning the attacks... Maybe even some hints of conspiracy... Oliver Stone has always been known for sparking controversy in his movies, yet this one was dull as could be.... Not to mention, Nicolas Cage gives another terrible performance. And to think he use to be one of my favorite actors, and know I can't even remember his last decent movie...

  • No Country for Old Men (C-)
For a movie that won the Academy Award for best picture, I definitely had high expectations going into this one. Yet when it finished I was left with nothing but confusion and then disappointment. Maybe thrillers just aren't my thing... Javier Bardem did make a pretty good villain with a wicked haircut, yet I still wouldn't put him in my top 50 list... Josh Brolin and Tommy Lee Jones gave some strong performances, but I just didn't care much for the story or the setting...

  • Ali (C)
This one came out several years ago, and I've caught parts of it, but never the whole thing. So I finally decided to rent it and watch the entire movie. Will Smith gives a passionate performance, yet I was somewhat disappointed with the storyline... It basically just jumps from one big event in his life to the next without much flow to it... I also think they could have done a better job demonstrating the time period...

  • Changeling (B-)
A decent period-piece, based on a true story of an L.A serial killing that took place in the 1920s... Angeline Jolie gives a solid performance as a mother who has had her son kidnapped, only to be later replaced by a different child... John Malkovich also shines as a minister who comes to her aid... The movie demonstrates several interesting themes of that time such as the corruption of the police and the mistreatment of women... As conservative as Clint Eastwood may be, he still always manages to come out with some pretty amazing dramatic and artistic films!

  • In Bruges (B-)
This one was alright, a black comedy about three assassins set in Bruges... All around solid performances from Colin Farrell, Brendan Gleeson, and Ralph Fiennes... Though one thing that really annoyed me was that the story took a very long time to develop... It had it's moments, but was also dry in some parts... Yet the biggest appeal to me was the setting of Bruges, Belgium... A medieval town of stone and river...

  • Burn After Reading (B-)
Now here's one that I definitely didn't expect... I thought this film was marketed as a comedy, yet when I actually watched it I didn't know what to think... It has lots of shocking moments in it, where you're not sure if you should laugh... It blends serious drama with comedy, in a genre that is considered "black comedy"... I couldn't get this one out of my head the next few days... So I got to give major props to the Coen brothers, for coming out with something so different... It also has an all-star cast of Clooney, Malkovich, Pitt, McDormand, and Swinton who all give great performances. Though Cloooney was my favorite....

No comments: