Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Top 25 Television Shows

So as I was writing my review on best historical movies, I couldn't help but include several television dramas in that category. While I will always prefer a film over a TV show, the past 10 years I have come to enjoy TV shows at a whole new level. This is no doubt thanks to the genius invention of streaming applications such as Netflix that completely changed the format. I remember as a teenager watching a TV episode meant adhering to the networks' schedule and expecting commercial breaks. This is still a requirement for watching live sports however watching television dramas is best done thru streaming apps.

Another major benefit of television shows is the story/character development you can't quite get in a 2 hour movie. TV shows offer a deeper dive into a story which is ideal, especially if it's a historical or fantasy setting. When it comes to TV shows I enjoy comedy sitcoms and animations, but my favorite is always the drama genre. Whether that be a series or a mini-series it's the drama that always brings out the best overall production. These days it seems some of these TV productions (from the acting, the setting, the music, and the story) are often on par with big budget movie epics.

So now I want to share my first ever ranking of TV shows. This list will serve as my golden top 25, in the likes of my favorite movies and music list. I will include drama, comedy, and animation (but fair warning I always favor the dramatic productions). These are all top quality programs and some of the best productions I have seen in my lifetime. I consider the programs on this list not only personal favorites but also critically acclaimed productions. I have already written various times about these shows, including separate posts about them.

(Also fair warning my list is catered more to the modern day streaming era than the old school broadcast network days. I'm going to omit some popular comedies like Cheers, Seinfield, The Office, and Friends. Also omitting The West Wing and The Wire which I have heard great things about however have yet to see.)


25. Arrested Development
  • Years Released: 2003-2006, 2013-present
  • Number of Episodes: 5 seasons (84 episodes)
  • Episode Running Time: 22 minutes
  • Production Company: FOX
  • Genre: Sitcom Comedy
  • Creator: Michael Hurwitz
  • Emmy Nominations: 25 (6 wins)
  • Golden Globe Nominations: 4 (1 win) 
  • Significance: This is a modern day comedy set in California pertaining to a wealthy and very dysfunctional family. It stars Jason Bateman as the one person in the Bluth family who has it together. He is surrounded however by his very unique family including his alcoholic mother, his corrupt father, his egocentric elder brother, his spoiled sister and her very odd husband Tobias, and his dimwitted younger brother. The character of Tobias is one of my favorites played hysterically by David Cross. Bateman's son is also a very insecure character played well by Michael Cera. Each of these characters make for very entertaining situational comedy. The writing is also loaded with fast paced content, back-stories, catch-phrases, and inside jokes making this a very creative show. 

24. Bates Motel
  • Years Released: 2013-2017
  • Number of Episodes: 5 seasons (50 episodes) 
  • Episode Running Time: 47 minutes
  • Production Company: A&E
  • Genre: Drama, Thriller  
  • Creator: Carlton Cuse
  • Emmy Nominations: 3
  • Significance: This psychological thriller was very exhilarating and perhaps one of the more underrated shows out there. It pertains to Alfred Hitchcock's infamous character Norman Bates from the classic 1960 movie, Psycho. Norman Bates is played well by Freddie Highmore, however the real accolade goes to the portrayal of his mother Norma, played by the stunning Vera Farmiga. The story is character driven and takes a deep dive into the unique personality of Norman Bates and his odd relationship with his mother. I would hardly call this show a horror yet more so a dramatic thriller that is very well written. This show presents psychological drama at a top quality level on par with other great psychological films such as Black Swan

23. Louie
  • Years Released: 2010-2015
  • Number of Episodes: 5 seasons (61 episodes)
  • Episode Running Time: 19 minutes
  • Production Company: FX
  • Genre: Comedy, Drama
  • Creator: Louis C.K.
  • Emmy Nominations: 17 (2 wins) 
  • Golden Globe Nominations 2
  • Significance: This was a unique comedy show starring the stand-up comedian Louis C.K and his day-to-day life in New York City. I'm usually not crazy about stand-up comedy but I really enjoyed Louis' deadpan comedy style. The show is most likely a mixture of fictional events and real life events that have occurred throughout his comedy career. Louie is portrayed as a normal guy, divorced father of two daughters, and still in the dating game. Each show demonstrates Louis in some sort of awkward social exchange. The show also has an element of drama and often crosses over into the dark-comedy genre.  It is very well written and an ideal show for anyone who enjoys cringe comedy in the likes of Curb Your Enthusiasm

22. Entourage
  • Years Released: 2004-2011
  • Number of Episodes: 8 seasons (96 episodes)
  • Episode Running Time: 35 minutes
  • Production Company: HBO
  • Genre: Comedy, Drama
  • Creator: Doug Ellin
  • Emmy Nominations: 18 (6 wins)
  • Golden Globe Nominations: 11 (1 win)
  • Significance: I remember I was in college when this show came out and was all the rave. It demonstrated such a hip and modern day portrayal of the movie business in Hollywood. The premise revolves around an up-and-coming actor, his agent, and his entourage of friends. Jeremy Piven steals the show in my opinion as the very ambitious movie agent. The episodes are a mixture of comedy and drama demonstrating the superstar lifestyle in Los Angeles. The show gives a good behind-the-scenes look of the business involved with making movies yet also the party lifestyle of actors and producers. It is an all-around well written show and quite visually appealing with the Los Angeles landscape, wealthy estates, and many top notch supermodels. 

21. The Mandalorian
  • Years Released: 2019-present
  • Number of Episodes: 1 season (8 episodes)
  • Episode Running Time: 46 minutes
  • Production Company: Disney
  • Genre: Science Fiction
  • Creator: Jon Favreau
  • Significance: I realize this show is still very new however I think the 1st season was a total home-run. It was the reason I subscribed to the new Disney Plus streaming service and lived up to it's hype. The Star Wars show pertains to the life of a bounty hunter shortly after the fall of the Galatic Empire. The show has the feel of a space-western with some excellent writing and production. It also still has the classic Star Wars feel to it, with notable character references, space battles, and visual effects. As a big Star Wars nerd and fan of Boba Fett and Jango Fett this show did it all for me. It had great writing, acting, setting, costumes, special effects, and a signature musical theme. I can't wait for the following seasons to expand on the character's story. 

20. I Love Lucy
  • Years Released: 1951-1957
  • Number of Episodes: 6 seasons (181 episodes)
  • Episode Running Time: 23 minutes
  • Production Company: CBS
  • Genre: Sitcom Comedy Sitcom
  • Creator: Jess Oppenheimer
  • Emmy Nominations: 21 (5 wins)
  • Significance: This one has a nostalgic quality for me as I remember watching it as a kid with my parents. The classic 1950s CBS show was syndicated to the popular kid's channel Nickelodeon and was a part of the Nick-at-Night lineup during the 1990s. The format is a classic television sitcom comedy pertaining to the rambunctious star Lucille Balle and her musical husband Ricky Ricardo. They live in a loft in New York City and are often accompanied by their neighbors Fred and Ethel. The show has many hilarious situational encounters and still makes for a good watch to this day. Along with it's iconic theme song this show should be considered the golden standard of classic television.   

19. Samurai Jack
  • Years Released: 2001-2004; 2017
  • Number of Episodes: 5 seasons (62 episodes)
  • Episode Running Time: 22 minutes
  • Production Company: Cartoon Network
  • Genre: Animated action-adventure  
  • Creator: Genndy Tartakovsky
  • Emmy Nominations: 10 (8 wins)
  • Significance: This was one of my favorite cartoons as a kid aired during the heyday of the Cartoon Network. The show is a very unique creation of sci-fi mixed with ancient Japanese customs. It pertains to a Japanese samurai warrior named Jack who is magically transported to the future by an evil wizard named Aku. The show is very artistic with incredible animations and dramatic storytelling. It is quite unlike most animated cartoons and portrays a very surreal setting. The show still has it's common cartoon traits with subtle comedy, good action, and a very catchy theme song. 

18. The Borgias
  • Years Released: 2011-2013
  • Number of Episodes: 3 seasons (29 episodes)
  • Episode Running Time: 48 minutes
  • Production Company: Showtime
  • Genre: Drama
  • Creator: Neil Jordan
  • Emmy Nominations: 16 (3 wins)
  • Golden Globe Nominations: 1
  • Significance: I have watched this show 3 times thru now and as a huge history nerd consider this among my favorite. My only wish however was that it had a couple more seasons and a proper closure to the papacy of Alexander VI. I just recently wrote about this show so won't go too much into detail, but the basic premise is about the corrupt Rodrigo Borgia and his family's rise to power. Everything about this show is top quality from it's writing, the acting, the costumes, and the setting during the Renaissance. This show was however cancelled right before it's major arc due to budget constraints and thus never reached it's full potential. 

17. The Simpsons
  • Years Released: 1989-present
  • Number of Episodes: 31 seasons (680 episodes)
  • Episode Running Time: 24 minutes
  • Production Company: FOX
  • Genre: Animation, Comedy
  • Creator: Matt Groening
  • Emmy Nominations: 78 (34 wins)
  • Significance: It is the longest running prime time television series of all time with an impressive 680 episodes and it's still in production. I remember enjoying this cartoon as a kid and even more so as a teenager during my junior high years. The content is basically an animated sitcom of a working class family. Homer is the dumb dad who loves donuts, Marge is the always concerned mother, Bart is the trouble-maker son, Lisa is the smart daughter, and Maggie is the sweet baby. This family has become one of the most iconic American television families in all history. I stopped following this show when I went to college and began to prefer it's new imitator, Family Guy. However I still enjoyed the early seasons of this show and consider it one of the most culturally significant shows of all time. 

16. Saturday Night Live
  • Years Released: 1975-present
  • Number of Episodes: 45 seasons (887 episodes)
  • Episode Running Time: 93 minutes
  • Production Company: NBC
  • Genre: Variety Show, Sketch-Comedy
  • Creator: Lorne Michaels
  • Emmy Nominations: 126
  • Significance: It is an American landmark of live television and is the longest running sketch comedy show in history. It has produced so many iconic stars and sketches throughout it's 44 year history. I can't remember a time where I wasn't familiar with the show and it's iconic opening line, "Live from New York, It's Saturday Night". I remember however I really got into the show around 2008 after I had graduated from college and began my working life. I enjoyed it's comedic portrayal of modern day news and topics, especially pertaining to politics. A few years later when I first got my Netflix account set up I remember watching the entire show up to date, including it's inception years with Chevy Chase, John Belushi, Dan Aykroyd, and Bill Murray; to it's golden years with Adam Sandler, Chris Farley, and David Spade; and it's 2nd golden era with Will Ferrell and Molly Shannahan. I started watching the show on a regular basis when it included stars such as Kirsten Wiig, Adam Sandberg, and Bill Hader. I don't watch the show as much today but I still enjoy it's sketch comedy and cultural references from time to time. 

15.  How I Met Your Mother
  • Years Released: 2005-2014
  • Number of Episodes: 9 seasons (208 episodes)
  • Episode Running Time: 22 minutes
  • Production Company: CBS
  • Genre: Comedy Sitcom
  • Creator: Carter Bays, Craig Thomas
  • Emmy Nominations: 30 (10 wins)
  • Golden Globe Nominations: 2 
  • Significance: I started watching this show around 2010 when Philip and Shawnna let me borrow the first 4 seasons on DVD. I loved it instantly and could relate to the young adult working in the city. The sitcom had a very similar format to Friends, a group of single adults in their mid-20's working in New York City. The show is filled with fast paced situational comedy and hilarious characters. The premise revolves around Ted Mosby and his search for love in the city. He is surrounded by a group of hilarious friends, most notably the womanizing breakout star Barney Stinson, played by Neil Patrick Harris. This show has so many memorable moments and the writing is top quality. It is one of my favorite sitcom comedies to binge watch. 

14. The Tudors
  • Years Released: 2007-2010
  • Number of Episodes: 4 seasons (38 episodes)
  • Episode Running Time: 56 minutes
  • Production Company: Showtime
  • Genre: Drama
  • Creator: Michael Hirst
  • Emmy Nominations: 15 (6 wins)
  • Golden Globe Nominations: 2
  • Significance: This is one of my favorite historical TV dramas, another great production from Showtime. Similar to The Borgias, this show portrays a lavish historical setting in a very steamy style. The premise pertains to the 6 wives of King Henry VIII and his disputes with the Catholic Church. It has several big name actors in it such as Peter O'Toole, Sam Niel, and Max von Sydow. The title role of Henry Tudor is performed by the over-dramatic Jonathan Rhys Meyers who was no doubt selected for this role to appeal to female viewership. However the performance by Natalie Dormer as the famous Anne Boleyn I thought was worthy of acclaim. There have been many shows and movies regarding the intriguing life of King Henry VIII, but this series certainly tops them all. 

13. Family Guy
  • Years Released: 1999-present
  • Number of Episodes: 18 seasons (345 episodes)
  • Episode Running Time: 23 minutes
  • Production Company: FOX
  • Genre: Animated Comedy
  • Creator: Seth MacFarlene
  • Emmy Nominations: 27 (8 wins)
  • Significance: I remember this show began to gain some momentum while I was in high school, however I first had it pegged as a total rip-off of the Simpsons. It was not until my sophomore year in college that I really began to enjoy the show. The format is quite similar to the Simpsons with a working class family known as the Griffins. Peter Griffin plays a similar role to Homer Simpson as the dim-witted dad, while his wife Louis plays the cliche concerned wife/mother in the likes of Marge Simpson. However the show takes a significant difference with the children Meg, Chris, and Stewie. The breakout characters alongside Peter are no doubt the talking baby Stewie and the wise-cracking dog Brian. What makes this show even more hilarious than the Simpsons in my opinion is the cut-away gags. This show has so much clever content and cultural references it is one of my all time favorite comedies. 

12. Friday Night Lights
  • Years Released: 2006-2011
  • Number of Episodes: 5 seasons (76 episodes)
  • Episode Running Time: 43 minutes
  • Production Company: NBC
  • Genre: Drama, sports
  • Creator: Peter Berg
  • Emmy Nominations: 13 (3 wins)
  • Significance: This is hands down my favorite sports TV show and a great homage to high school football. Granted I did not play high school football, but I love the sport and came from a high school where it was a very big deal. I enjoyed the setting of this show in rural Texas where football is everything. I enjoyed the head coach played by Kyle Chandler who has a righteous approach to his coaching and his very strong willed and beautiful wife played by Connie Britton. This show had some great writing, acting, and lots of very attractive Texan women in it. I loved the theme song and just the general feel to this show that always takes me back to my high school days and gets me pumped for football season. 

11. Lost
  • Years Released: 2004-2010
  • Number of Episodes: 6 seasons (121 episodes)
  • Episode Running Time: 50 minutes
  • Production Company: ABC
  • Genre: Drama  
  • Creator: Jeffrey Lieber, J.J. Abrams, Damon Lindelof
  • Emmy Nominations: 54 (11 wins)
  • Golden Globe Nominations: 7 (1 win) 
  • Significance: This was one of the first television dramas I streamed from beginning-to-end when I first got my Netflix account setup in 2011. I remember the series was very popular during my college years and my cousins would always rave about it. The show had concluded it's 6th season in 2010 so I was able to watch the full series on Netflix. Based on the dramatic element of this show I would have hated to wait a week for the released of each new episode. This is part of the reason I prefer to stream a TV drama when it is concluded. This show is very well written with top notch drama and suspense. The first few seasons are incredible, however the later seasons take a unique Sci-Fi turn. The conclusion is also very controversial with it's open ending that has lead to much debate. My general assessment is that all these characters have died from their plane crash and are living on purgatory. The show is regarded by many as the greatest of all time and was a groundbreaking production of drama quality. 

10. Mad Men
  • Years Released: 2007-2015
  • Number of Episodes: 7 seasons (92 episodes)
  • Episode Running Time: 57 minutes
  • Production Company: AMC
  • Genre: Drama
  • Creator: Matthew Weiner
  • Emmy Nominations: 116 (16 wins)
  • Golden Globe Nominations: 13 (5 wins)
  • Significance: This was another of my early Netflix binge-watching shows and for some time was one of my favorite drama TV shows. It is a top quality period drama set in the 1950s-1960s in a time where advertising agencies carried heavy weight. The show revolves around the smooth talking business man Don Draper played wonderfully by Jon Hamm. He has a natural tact for creative design and business however his personal life is an unending roller coaster due to his womanizing. This show is very well written and has many great pop culture and historical references. It also has a very artistic visual appeal to it with well dressed business people smoking a lot of cigarettes. My only complaint was the open ending that leaves Don sitting at a hippy commune, unsure of what his next career move will be. I suppose the best assumption can be that his character did find peace at the end of the series. This show had it all in regards to top quality and also had a very enticing theme song. 

9. The Wonder Years
  • Years Released: 1988-1993
  • Number of Episodes: 6 seasons (115 episodes)
  • Episode Running Time: 24 minutes
  • Production Company: ABC
  • Genre: Comedy, Drama
  • Creator: Neal Marlens, Carol Black
  • Emmy Nominations: 28 (4 wins)
  • Golden Globe Nominations: 4 (1 win)
  • Significance: This show has nostalgic quality for me, and alongside I Love Lucy was one of my first real sitcoms I ever got into at a kid. During the 1990's it was also syndicated by Nickelodeon and aired as part of the Nick-at-Nite package. I remember my brother and I really enjoyed this working class suburban family set during the late 60's. The show is a coming-of-age drama that revolves around Kevin Arnold. He is a typical young boy living his best life, set during the very tumultuous years of the Vietnam War and the counterculture movement. His father is an iconic working class conservative with so many memorable lines. Kevin deals with a bully brother, a hippy sister, a hard noised father, a concerned mother, a nerdy best friend Paul, and his girlfriend Winnie Cooper. The show is just an all around feel-good sitcom centered on family values. The theme song of "With a Little Help From My Friends" by Joe Cocker is one of the greatest TV theme songs of all time. 

8. House of Cards
  • Years Released: 2013-2018
  • Number of Episodes: 6 seasons (73 episodes)
  • Episode Running Time: 59 minutes
  • Production Company: Netflix
  • Genre: Drama
  • Creator: Beau Willimon
  • Emmy Nominations: 56 (7 wins)
  • Golden Globe Nominations: 8 (2 wins)  
  • Significance: This was the first major production distributed by Netflix and is one of my all time favorite political thrillers. As a subscriber of Netflix since 2011, I followed each year of this show from it's inception release in 2013 to it's season finale release in 2018. The writing and acting are phenomenal carried by Kevin Spacey and his wife played by Robin Wright. It pertains to a corrupt congressman's climb to the top with the support of his equally vicious wife. This show would probably be higher up on my list had it not been for its quality drop-off in the final season due to the Kevin Spacey scandal. While Robin Wright still did well to bring the show some closure, it was missing it's main driving force without Spacey. That being said it is still a very well written show that gives a great inside look into the world of politics. 

7. That 70's Show
  • Years Released: 1998-2006
  • Number of Episodes: 8 seasons (200 episodes)
  • Episode Running Time: 22 minutes
  • Production Company: FOX
  • Genre: Comedy sitcom
  • Creator: Bonnie Turner, Terry Turner, Mark Brazill
  • Emmy Nominations: 16 (1 win)
  • Significance: This is my all time favorite comedy sitcom that I remember enjoying as a young teenager. In the likes of The Wonder Years it is set in the 1970s counter-culture era, however is way more heavy on the comedy. The show premiered many up-and-coming actors such as Topher Grace, Ashton Kutcher, Mila Kunis, and the super sexy Laura Prepon as Donna. The show gives homage to classic 1970's hippy culture yet also the cold northern state of Minnesota. It's a show that is ideal for binge watching, and I have probably watched it thru at least 3 times on Netflix. The iconic theme song, sets the tone for the wild party-loving characters. Despite it's final season being sub-par due to the departure of Topher Grace and Ashton Kutcher it still remains my all time favorite comedy show. 

6. John Adams
  • Years Released: 2008
  • Number of Episodes: 7 episode mini-series
  • Episode Running Time: 70 minutes
  • Production Company: HBO
  • Genre: Drama
  • Creator: Kirk Ellis, Tom Hooper
  • Emmy Nominations: 23 (13 wins)
  • Golden Globe Nominations: 4 (4 wins)
  • Significance: This is one of my all time favorite historical shows and alongside the film The Patriot is the defining production pertaining to the American Revolution. The show stars Paul Giamatti as the not so famous revolutionary John Adams who is presenting as the key figure in the movement. The show demonstrates an incredible historical setting, not so much for it's military events but it's political events. Giamatti is surrounded by other great actors such as Laura Linney as Abigail Adams, Tom Wilkinson as Ben Franklin, Danny Huston as Sam Adams, Stephen Dillane as Thomas Jefferson, and David Morse as George Washington.The show gives great insight to the political and diplomatic dealings of John Adams before, during, and after his presidency. It is one of several HBO productions included in my top 10 favorite shows. 

5. Hey Arnold
  • Years Released: 1996-2004
  • Number of Episodes: 5 seasons (100 episodes)
  • Episode Running Time: 23 minutes
  • Production Company: Nickelodeon
  • Genre: Animated, Comedy, Drama
  • Creator: Craig Bartlett
  • Significance: This is no doubt a personal preference of mine and I feel it is a very underrated show worthy of much more critical acclaim. The show has a major nostalgic quality for me as it was my favorite cartoon on Nickelodeon as a kid (along with Spongebob Squarepants). However I later watched the show a second time thru when I began my Netflix subscription in 2011 and enjoyed it all the more. While the show is no doubt targeted for a younger teenage audience it has very adult oriented social themes in it. The premise pertains to a young kid living in New York City with his grandparents and the many adventures he gets into. The show demonstrates the many unique and even unorthodox characters that Arnold encounters in New York City. Arnold is the embodiment of the righteous character always seeking to help others out. Because of this he has many friends such as Gerald and lovers such as Helga. This show is full of great writing, comedy, characters, and many memorable episodes. 

4. Band of Brothers
  • Years Released: 2001
  • Number of Episodes: 10 episode mini-series
  • Episode Running Time: 70 minutes
  • Production Company: HBO
  • Genre: Drama
  • Creator: Tom Hanks, Steven Spielberg
  • Emmy Nominations: 20 (7 wins)
  • Golden Globe Nominations: 3 (1 win)
  • Significance: This is my favorite historical TV drama that I have probably watched at least 3 or 4 times. It is yet another great HBO production, created by Tom Hans and Spielberg after their similar collaboration on Saving Private Ryan. The setting pertains to the airborne troops of Operation Overlord and their various missions in western Europe. This show demonstrates various campaigns such as the Battle of the Bulge and Operation Market Garden. It also has some high quality battle effects, both visually and sound enhancing. The setting takes the viewer thru various war-ravaged European towns with great detail. Each episode provides a unique story pertaining to a historical event with some great writing and acting. The theme song by Michael Kamen is also very well down. The show is all around top quality and along with Saving Private Ryan is my favorite productions concerning WWII.    

3. Breaking Bad
  • Years Released: 2008-2013
  • Number of Episodes: 5 seasons (62 episodes)
  • Episode Running Time: 43 minutes
  • Production Company: AMC
  • Genre: Drama, Crime
  • Creator: Vince Gilligan
  • Emmy Nominations: 58 (16 wins)
  • Golden Globe Nominations: 7 (2 wins)
  • Significance: I began watching this show in about 2011 when I first subscribed to Netflix and instantly became a fan. I later awaited for the last three seasons and watched them as soon as they were uploaded to Netflix. First of the story by Vince Gilligan is brilliant and so very original. It's premise is about a chemistry teacher who discovers that he will die from cancer and thus decides to go out with a bang. The main character of Walter White is played incredibly by Bryan Cranston and arguably one of the most iconic TV characters of all time. His story is a very unique transition of a middle class suburban dad who later becomes a most wanted criminal drug lord. He is also supported by a remarkable cast of unique characters and performances. The writing in this show is top quality drama from beginning to end, and almost every show left me wanting more. When I think of episode cliff-hangers I instantly think of Lost, Game of Thrones, and this show. It's this quality of writing, that makes the viewer always wanting more, that makes this one of the greatest shows of all time. 

2. The Sopranos
  • Years Released: 1999-2007
  • Number of Episodes: 6 seasons (86 episodes)
  • Episode Running Time: 50 minutes
  • Production Company: HBO
  • Genre: Drama, Crime 
  • Creator: David Chase
  • Emmy Nominations: 111 (21 wins)
  • Golden Globe Nominations: 23 (5 wins)
  • Significance: I must confess I was very late to watching this show and did not see the whole thing thru until 2016. This was most likely due to me never having an HBO subscription as I had always heard it was a top notch show. The show is essentially a modern day account of the classic crime films Godfather and Goodfellas in TV form. It pertains to the Italian-American family known as the Sopranos and their dealings of organized crime in New Jersey. Just like Breaking Bad this show is carried by incredible writing yet furthermore incredible acting. The main character and patriarch of the family crime business, Tony Soprano is played brilliantly by James Gandolfini. He is a very complex character, who can be a lovable husband, father, and friend at times yet also a wickedly cruel criminal. He is supported by a great cast of characters and performances alike. The writing of this show is truly sensational because it takes a deep dive not only into the criminal world but also the modern day domestic family life. Despite the fact that Tony Soprano is a mobster he still lives a fairly normal domestic life with a wife and two children. The show depicts the dramatic business dealings of the Sopranos yet also their personal family affairs. It is one of the greatest written shows of all time and set the bar for HBO productions to come. 

1. Game of Thrones
  • Years Released: 2011-2019
  • Number of Episodes: 8 seasons (73 episodes)
  • Episode Running Time: 50 minutes
  • Production Company: HBO
  • Genre: Fantasy
  • Creator: David Benioff, D.B. Weiss
  • Emmy Nominations: 160 (59 wins)
  • Golden Globe Nominations: 8 (1 win)
  • Significance: This is my undisputed all time favorite show that can almost be categorized as a very long movie epic. The scale is truly remarkable and has the quality of a top budget film on every aspect. The HBO production is an adaptation of George R.R. Martin's acclaimed fantasy novel A Song of Ice and Fire. Each season grows in scale, budget, and quality from it's first season to it's final season just last year. It's one of the few shows that truly does get better with each season (unlike other shows on this list that lose quality in their later seasons such as Mad Men, Lost, and House of Cards). I will say that the final season could have been written better and may have been a bit rushed however was still an epic visual unlike anything I've seen before. I won't get too much into the content here as I have already written various accounts of the plot and it's many characters. However it is essentially a unique mixture of the fantasy film epic Lord of the Rings and the historical account of the House of Tudor and the War of the Roses. I did not start streaming this show until just a couple years ago, however have watched it twice thru and consider it my undisputed favorite. The writing, the acting, the setting, the special effects, the music, and the sheer drama are just unmatched for a television series. This show demonstrates the top quality scale of HBO, which is why they have several shows in my top 10 here (John Adams, Band of Brothers, The Sopranos). I consider the fantasy content of this show on par with several of my favorite fantasy films such as Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, and Harry Potter. It's hard to argue against Game of Thrones as the greatest show of all time when you consider the show's accolades, budget, and fan-base. 

No comments: