Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Best Winter Movies

Few months ago I made the case that there some movies that are best appreciated during certain seasons of the year. I already made a list of my favorite fall films and will now make a list of my favorite winter films just as promised. I will later make a case for spring and summer films as those seasons approach.

The winter time for me is my favorite time to watch my favorite movies. I suppose this is for a variety of reasons; it's a chance to lounge on the couch and stay warm while it's cold and bitter outside, a chance to feel joy and comfort during the Holiday season, a chance to feel nostalgic at the end of a year and reflective at a start to a new year. All these reasons are why I love movies, and why there are certain movies I enjoy to watch during certain times. These movies listed below are not Christmas-themed movies, yet rather my favorite movies to watch during the cold season of winter.

Honorable Mention

  • Chronicles of Narnia Series (It's got a winteresque setting to it, and even a mention of Christmas)
  • Greek Culture Movies (Usually around Jan or Feb I go thru a Greek appreciation phase and these films go so well together)
    • Alexander (2004)
    • Troy (2004)
    • 300 (2006)
  • Star Wars -There have been many times where I have binged Star Wars during the winter-time, however I could make a greater case as to why this film is not to be specifically categorized as a winter film. It was my favorite movie series as a child, and I would watch it year round no matter the season. It's my understanding the original films were released as summer blockbusters. I also remember the prequels were all released in the springtime of my high school years. This was a very exciting time for me as a Star Wars nerd and I remember waiting in line for the premiere of each release. Those 3 distinct experiences during the springtime are perhaps why I personally would not consider this a winter film. However the latest 3 films (The Force Awakens, Rogue One, and The Last Jedi) have all been released during winter-time thus bringing forth perhaps a recent claim as to why Star Wars could be considered a winter film. 


10. Russian Culture- There's nothing that screams cold bitter wintertime more than a movie about Russia. Some of my all time favorites movies Reds and Doctor Zhivago happen to be about the Russian Revolution. These two acclaimed films provide an iconic dose of Russian culture with the backdrop of a bitter frozen tundra. Anastasia is another Russian Revolution setting and an animated musical that I enjoyed as a kid around Christmas time. Another favorite Russian film of mine during the winter season is Leo Tolstoy's romantic tales of War and Peace and Anna Karenina. It deals with dark and lustful romance ideal for the dark and cold winter nights. Whether it's movies about war or movies about love, Russian culture is ideal in the wintertime. 

  • War and Peace (1956)
  • Doctor Zhivago (1965)  
  • Reds (1981)
  • Anastasia  (1997)
  • Anna Karenina (2012)



9. Black Swan (2010)- I actually remember first watching this movie around the early winter of 2011, and feeling very inspired by it. Just as the title suggests it's a rather dark movie dealing with complex psychological drama. It is an artistic film about music and dance, carried by the classical score of the Russian composer, Tchaikovsky. Natalie Portman gives the performance of a lifetime, as an extremely obsessive ballerina fighting with herself to achieve perfection.She is a woman gone mad with passion quite similar to Anna Karenina. The reason I associate this movie so much with the winter time is because of it's dark and romantic theme infused with Russian cultural elements.




8. World War II Movies- As a big history nerd, I've always felt that World War II phases are best to be enjoyed during the winter time. It's no doubt one of the darkest most violent times in human history and could probably best be related too during the cold dark days of winter. Just as Civil War can be appreciated during the fall country days, and the Vietnam War can be appreciated during the hot summer days infested with bugs, for me the bitter conditions of winter are synonymous with the the study of World War II. Specifically the cold fronts of Europe, such as the Battle of the Bulge or the Battle of Stalingrad. There's many films about World War II, many of which I have enjoyed, and many I have still yet to see,. However it seems almost every years around January I fall into a World War II appreciation phase,; Saving Private Ryan is the undisputed king of World War 2 movies (also in my top 25) but there's many others including great TV series and documentaries as well;




  • Saving Private Ryan (1998)
  • Band of Brothers (2001)
  • Downfall (2004)
  • Valkyrie (2008)

7. Les Miserables- I remember it was during a bitter winter of 2012-2013 when I first saw the release of Les Miserables. I felt so inspired by the storyline and the film, and could relate entirely with it. I myself was thru some hardships during the time with courier work and the brutal winter times. The story is a literary masterpiece by Victor Hugo about political and romantic characters set during the 1830s of the French Revolution. It's a story of poverty, upheaval, sacrifice, and love in very dark times. It is also a musical film, that celebrates history and culture. For me this film has become a recent Christmas/Winter classic that I often watch along with Phantom of the Opera or Amadeus.




6. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind- I remember this movie came out in the winter-time of 2004 and I caught it in theater with my friend Jaybo. I was in college at the time, going thru quite a inspirational renaissance, and this film seemed quite unique. The premise is about a character played by Jim Carrey, who is brokenhearted and decides to erase the memories of his ex-girlfriend played by Kate Winslet. However the process turns to be quite a roller coaster as Jim begins to change his mind. It's a comical, dramatic, and extremely artistic film set in the bitter wintertime of New York. It is now one of my all time Top 25 favorite films. I especially enjoy the melancholic soundtrack of this film, and try to watch it around January each year.


5. Phantom of the Opera- It was the Christmas of 09 when I remember getting drunk with my family and watching this film for the first time. Although I was very drunk at the time and only made it half way thru before I went to bed, I remember feeling quite in awe of the opening scenes. The next day my dad and I watched the film in it's entirety and I was simply blown away. The setting reminded me of Amadeus, however the musical dialogue was unlike anything I've seen before. After Christmas I went thru a major operatic phase influenced by this film. I continued this phase throughout the wintertime, as I moved to Fishers to begin a new career. I must have watched the film over 10 times, constantly listening to the soundtrack in my car. It wasn't long until I had each song from the film memorized. From then on I have made it a new tradition to watch this film around Christmas time.


4. Holocaust Movies- While this category of films could fall into the World War II case, I think it is to be recognized as it's own category. And just like World War II films are best enjoyed during the winter, the case get be made even greater for films about the Holocaust. It was without question one of the darkest most atrocious human genocides in history. It was a time of suffering and survival, the harshest of conditions. Fortunately for us, we can try to relate and understand this terrible time through film. And there happens to be so many great movies that pertain primarily on this account. One of my all time favorite Top 25 movies is the Schindler's List, however an honorable mention would be The Pianist. I often try to group these movies together during the bitter cold days of winter.

  • Sophie's Choice (1982)
  • Schindler's List (1992)
  • Life is Beautiful (1997)
  • The Pianist (2002)
  • Defiance (2008)

3. Amadeus- This has become a Christmas classic film for my family ever since I was a kid. I remember we use to watch this film at my grandma's house in Michigan around Christmas time. While the premise has nothing whatsoever to do with Christmas, it's such a lavish and classical setting. It is a dramatic account on the short-life of Mozart, and his beautiful music he composed. It's an extravagant film with large scale operatic performances and full costumes from the Classical Era of the late 1700s. The film also provides great acting with comedic, dramatic, and romantic characters. It was this film that gave me a greater appreciation for classical music or just music in general. It has been high on my Top 25 list for some time now, a very nostalgic film that will always be a Christmas classic for me.   


2. Gladiator- This is my undisputed favorite movie of all time, and has been for quite some time now. That being said it is not #1 on this winter list, because The Lord of the Rings now offers 6 films to be enjoyed. While Gladiator stands alone on it's own merit as a great film, it cannot compete with the entertainment that comes from 6 great movies. That being said, Gladiator is a film I like to enjoy around Christmas/Winter time for various reasons. First being that it is my favorite movie, and brings me great joy and nostalgia during the hardships of wintertime. Second is that the setting itself has a winterequse tone to it. There is the opening battle against the German barbarians that takes place during the winter as well as various other scenes. Then there are the dark themes of betrayal, grief, defiance, and the after life. For these reasons I best enjoy my favorite movies around winter time.
 

1. Lord of the Rings- As stated above the Lord of the Rings series has become my favorite movies to watch during winter time. (The film series is number 2 on my Top 25 list, since it consists of multiple films) Nonetheless it has become a Christmas/Winter tradition for me ever since the films were first released during my high school days. I remember first watching The Fellowship of the Rings on a date in the theaters and being so inspired by the fantasy. I later watched the following two movies in theaters and quickly added them to my DVD collection as soon as they were released. The fantasy has a vast setting from wintertime to summertime, yet for me it is the utmost story of adventure. There have recently been 3 more Hobbit prequels added to the Fellowship Trilogy, which are not quite up to par, yet still a great appetizer for this masterpiece. It is a story of good vs evil, and always brings me great comfort to watch this film by the fireplace during wintertime.  

No comments: