Sunday, September 4, 2016

Random Summer Notes 2016

With finally a bit of free time on my hand, thanks to the Labor Day weekend, I thought it was fitting to update the ole blog with a summer recap. As per usual it was an eventful one, full of traditional events, new events, and topped off with a very memorable family vacation to Minnesota.

5th Season with Indy Indians

Last night I just finished my 5th season with the Indy Indians which is quite hard to believe. I still love the job, and am so grateful to have such an enjoyablee stress-free part time job in the summer time to keep me busy. I also enjoy the people there I work with, such as the game clock operator, Chris, who has become a good friend of mine the last couple years. It's basically as if I'm getting paid to watch baseball and I hope to have the job for many years to come.


International Sports Tournaments

This summer was loaded with great sports action, including 3 major international sports tournaments; the Copa America, The Euro Cup, and the Olympics. I won't go too much into detail on this, since it's all been covered thoroughly in this blog on my last 10 posts. I will emphasize however how much I enjoy international tournaments such as these. No sport compares to what soccer and the Olympics do on a world stage.


Dad's Retirement Party

One of the major events of the summer was dad's retirement party being hosted at the house in Kekionga. After 27 years working at St. John's New Haven dad worked his last day in early June. However before he could truly enjoy the retirement lifestyle he wanted to invite all his family and friends to celebrate with him. As per usual it was a big task of planning and organizing and was to be a 3 day summer bash.

I arrived on Thursday to help prepare for the party. I made my sangria and guava bread which was a big hit that weekend. On Friday afternoon some of the early arrivers began to show, and by evening time we surprised dad with his new pontoon and jet ski. That evening we had hamburgers and hot dogs.

The following day was the big party day, and practically my dad's whole family was there. Aunts, Uncles, and cousins. Even Geoff was there, who I hadn't seen in several years. I remember riding the jet ski for my first time ever that day. There was music and food aplenty. It wasn't like the old family parties of wild drunkenness, yet rather tame and overrun by children. My dad even got a playhouse for them which was a big hit.

On Sunday was the final wrap up day and some family showed up for breakfest and leftovers. I stayed until Monday morning to relax and help with the cleanup. The 3 day party was a total success, and my dad had properly begun his new lifestyle.

The following weekend Mom and Dad came to visit for their anniversary which was nice. We had a barbecue at my place, including some very good carne asada. We then went to an Indy Eleven game that night. It was a fun weekend having them visit.

Fitness and Health

This summer I slowed downed on the running and switched over to weightlifting. While I always try to do pushups and situps after my runs, I haven't seriously taken on weightlifting since my P90x phase in 2010. I was able to get a new routine going thanks to Philip who gave me his bench press and curling bar. Starting in mid July I began benching and curling on a routine basis. I reorganized my sun-room to turn it into a gym.

We also had our 8th annual triathlon on July 23rd, which was yet another success thanks to Andres' friends at the YMCA. We had over 20 people participate. I finished in the middle and was satisfied with my result as one of the older participants. After the race we drove back to Indy to celebrate Will's birthday.

Minnesota Vacation

Our big Sundberg vacation was 4 years in the making, after our memorable trip to New England. This time we wanted to include Philip, Shawnna, and the kids Benjamin and Will. At first our plan was to go to Canada but that was too expensive so we then changed to the Mackinac Islands, however Gabriel and Andres wanted something different, so we all agreed on a place we had never been to before; Minnesota.

I took the whole week off of work, which would be my first full week vacation since New England 2012. I was excited to get out of my routine for a while and to not worry about work. It would be the perfect end to the summer and new transition into the fall. I found us a good priced cabin off the large Mille Lacs Lake north of Minneapolis.

We left early Sunday Morning on August 14th. It was about a 10 hour drive from Fort Wayne, and we rented a large 12 passenger van. Of course we had to make many stops along the way for the children, as well as food breaks. Me and my dad took turns driving. We stopped at a Denny's for breakfest outside of Chicago which had the best jalapeno bacon I had ever tasted. We arrived at the cabin in the town of Isle, MN that evening and quickly went for a swim. The lake was enormous and the cabin was much more spacious that I had thought. We all watched the Olympics that evening after we got the car unpacked. I was glad the cabin had TV and we were able to watch the Olympics every night.

The first day there we relaxed all day, set up the hammock, went swimming, rafting, fishing, played board games, and I read my new book (The Fall of Giants-Ken Follet). We also had plenty of good food. The next day we got up early to visit the city of Minneapolis. We started at the Mall of America and went on some of the rides. Then we did some shopping and had lunch. Afterwards we caught the train to the city where we walked downtown for a bit. To be honest I wasn't all that impressed with Minneapolis, however I'm still glad we got to see it. We got home late that evening due to traffic.

The next day we relaxed again doing the same things as before. I got alot of reading done, and was really beginning to enjoy my new book. The next day we drove out to Duluth, MN which was about an hour north of where we were staying. Quite remarkable there happened to be a rare boat show that day off of Lake Superior, and thousands of people had come out to witness it. There were old galleons and pirates in costume along the coastline. We sat by the lakeside for some time, watching the boats and had a good lunch at a burger restaurant. Afterwards we stopped to visit the birthplace of Bob Dylan, which was cool to see.

We left that Friday on the long drive home, and this time Philip and dad took turns driving. We stopped at a nice family diner in Wisconsin and even got some Cheese Curds. I got alot of reading done and I remember Philip was able to stream the Olympics on his phone. We got home late that night around 11 or 12. The trip was a great escape from the usual, a perfect success of relaxation and family bonding. The next morning I drove back to Indy. After a week of vacation I was ready to get back to my life in Indy. However I still do miss the time I shared with my family. Saddly we don't get to do that as much as we use to.  


New Phases

It's been so long since I've read a book, and decided to tackle one this summer after talking with Laura at the retirement party. Marc was the one who recommended Ken Follett's century trilogy to me. It is a century long story of fictitious characters intertwined in the backdrop of the last century's major world events. This is my favorite type of movie and only makes it would make for an exciting book full of such great academic insight. I'm almost finished with Part 1- The Fall of Giants which is set in Europe during WW1. I'll have a full review to come.

The book has also inspired old interests of mine in historical events such as the Russian Revolution, WWI, the rise of feminism, and the rise of Communism. If I find time this fall I may do some further studies and postings on these intriguing topics.


Fall Outlook

Fall is always my favorite time of the year for so many reasons; football is back, the English Premier league is back, the weather is getting cooler, the elections are getting closer, the leaves are changing, etc. With a seasonal change I myself always try to make some changes.

I hope to continue exercising both running and lifting weights. I have the Baca Bolt next weekend and the Monumental Half in a couple months. I also have been trying to eat better, and eat less quantities. It's so hard to get rid of the Sundberg belly, especially as I get older, but I really am trying.

I want to stay busy with part time work on the side. Fortunately I have gotten off to a great start working for a voter registration project. I just started yesterday and today doing data entry and making phone calls. I job pays well and isn't too stressful which I like.

I also hope to stay social this fall and into the winter. I'm planning to go to an IU football game with Chris, maybe visit Marc and Laura in Nashville, and other outings as well. Hopefully with extra income from part time jobs, I can stay busy, stay active, and stay positive. As always the number one goal is to meet someone to fall for. 

No comments: