Thursday, September 4, 2014

NFL season kick-off!

Well it's that time of the year again, my favorite time, when fall kicks-off with the start of the NFL season. Tonight's season-opening match is between the defending champs Seattle Seahawks against the Green Bay Packers. There is no sports league as big and exciting as the NFL. I have been an avid fan of this league as well as my Detroit Lions since as far back as the 5th grade. Tonight's prime time game will be the kickoff to the 2014-2015 season.

Thursday Night Football: A New Tradition

Since 2002 the Thursday night season opener came about as a prime-time kickoff to the season. It normally matches the returning super bowl champions against another very successful team. For me it's this game that starts the football season all together, since I hardly follow college or high school as much. It also serves as a start to the fall season, my favorite season of the year.

I remember celebrating this opening game many times in college with my fellow NFL fans; Palmer, Karlan, EJ, and the rest of our fantasy football league. Even after college I kept the tradition alive, and have always tuned in to the opening game whether at BWWs or at home with a beer. Tonight will be no different.

Best League in the Biz

Over the past couple years the NFL has gotten all the more exciting thanks to rivalries among friends and co-workers, fantasy football leagues, and three days a week to watch the games (Thursday night, Sunday, Sunday night, and Monday night) Watching the NFL on Sunday afternoon is one of my favorite relaxing things to do. And I especially enjoy the prime time matches of TNF, SNF, and MNF.

Although soccer is my favorite sport, there is still no European league that can compare to this giant spectacle. It has always been my front-runner since I first got NFL Quarterback club 95 for Super NES, and became a Detroit Lions fan. The format has become a part of my routine, from the regular Sunday games, the prime time games, the byes, to the playoffs, and the big Super Bowl itself. It's great entertainment and discussion among peers. It's truly a hobby to follow this league. Especially my Detroit Lions, my one team since the 5th grade.

My Detroit Lions

Perhaps I'll save this for a separate post, detailing my support of the Detroit Lions. They've been a team that have always struggled to remain above average and yet I stay true and loyal to them. I always hope for the day where they will make it to the big show and that will be such a gratifying feeling. Until then I continue to give my full and undivided support to them.

For 17 weeks, I set my schedule around their schedule. As usual they will most likely send me on a roller coaster of emotions and yet I will never waiver away from them despite the outcome. They are forever my team and someday we will win it all! There's no league or team that can quite bring out this passion in me, such as the NFL and the Detroit Lions.


NFL Power Rankings according to NFL.com


RANK 1
1

SEAHAWKS: Superbowl Defending Champs
RANK 2
2

49ERS: Kaeperneck is fun to watch; Rich's team

RANK 3
3

BRONCOS: Peyton Manning, explosive offense. 

RANK 4
4

PATRIOTS: F the Patriots. 2nd most despised team. 
RANK 5
5

SAINTS: Connie's team, who dem Saints
RANK 6
6

PACKERS: Huge Rivals; Aaron Rodgers

RANK 7
7

COLTS: F the Colts,. Most despised team!

RANK 8
8

CHIEFS
RANK 9
9

EAGLES
RANK 10
10

CARDINALS

RANK 11
11

PANTHERS

RANK 12
12

BENGALS

RANK 13
13

CHARGERS

RANK 14
14

BEARS: Huge rivals! Palmer, Adam, etc
RANK 15
15

RAVENS: That effing kicker, Justin Tucker 61yd BS!
RANK 16
16

STEELERS: I enjoy the Steeler-terrible-towel nation
RANK 17
17

JETS: Nick Ferguson's team; RCL courier days

RANK 18
18

DOLPHINS: My first favorite team

RANK 19
19

GIANTS: We play them MNF opening game
RANK 20
20

FALCONS: The dirty bird; Love the colors. 
RANK 21
21

RAMS: They suck. 

RANK 22
22

COWBOYS: Fun to watch, but they struggle. 

RANK 23
23

BUCCANEERS

RANK 24
24

LIONS: Very unfair ranking, FoxSports has us at 11. 

RANK 25
25

BILLS
RANK 26
26

REDSKINS

RANK 27
27

VIKINGS

RANK 28
28

JAGUARS
RANK 29
29

TITANS

RANK 30
30

BROWNS

RANK 31
31

RAIDERS

RANK 32
32

TEXANS

No comments: