Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Random Winter Notes 2012

Well it's been a year now since I moved here to River Road Apartments, and got my job at Racer Cartage Logistics, and I thought it was fitting to post an update. As of now I am still satisfied with my living and work situation and am going to continue with the both of them. This is quite an accomplishment for me to sustain a position for more than a year. Sure there are some things that I dislike about my job or my apartment, yet the hassle of change is just not worth it. I've had some terrible days in the past year, yet for the most part I have it quite easy.

Financial Report: The past year I juggled three part-time jobs and did not take a single sick-day or vacation. I have thus acknowledged my title of a "freelance-contractor". One thing I quickly found with this type of work, is that you have to spend money to make money. And I was especially afraid come tax season, yet it wasn't so bad. My business expenses practically canceled out my due taxes. Although I don't have any benefits or retirement plans, I've made a decent profit this year, built a savings account, and have really hacked down some bills (car is finally paid off!). I let go of tutoring in the summer, yet plan on continuing with Sportvision and RCL.  I've had extremely busy days and extremely easy days, and the thing I love best about working freelance is the freedom! I don't know how long I can continue this lifestyle, but I just try not to think of those things.

I want to plan a vacation sometime this year, perhaps in the spring or summertime. I got money saved up, and would really look to experience a different culture for a while. Maybe a week or so. It's been a long time since I've had a good adventure.

Current Political Topics: The news of the moment has been as interesting as always. President Obama has been under fire lately with the Catholic Church, by making contraception a part of Health Care. He also is facing another Budget fiasco, with continuous Republican opposition. The economic civil war continues; higher taxes vs less government. The Republican Presidential Primaries have been extremely heated as well, constantly switching leads for Mitt Romney, Newt Gingrich, and Rick Santorum. It would appear that Romney would have the nomination, yet he just can't break free of the others. Hopefully this division amongst conservatives will favor Obama for reelection. 

Current International Topics: Growing tensions in the middle east. It's been over a year now since the Arab Spring took way, and many nations won their revolution. However other nations, especially Syria, have faced bloody opposition. The government of Bashar al-Assad is responsible for the deaths of over 5000 citizens. This is has become a humanitarian issue, worthy of UN or NATO intervention. However it would appear, that unlike Libya, there is no financial gain from such an act.

Another heated tension is between Iran and Israel. Most of the world expects that Iran is pursing a nuclear program, and could pose a threat to Israel. Yet this is of course speculation without any hard evidence. Throughout the past few months, there have been a number of assassinations on both sides, from nuclear scientists, military figures, and diplomats. The situation has reached a boiling point, and a war between the two seems almost inevitable.


Phases: I've been in quite a jazz-phase and a space-phase the last few months, reading books, and watching documentaries about the science of the universe. I've always believed that the best way to really understand a certain subject, is to absorb yourself in it for a while. This goes for music, history, culture, etc. I suppose it began after college, a peculiar hunger for knowledge. I of course don't expect to get anything out of these studies, besides knowledge.

Fitness: The 4th annual Sundberg Sprint Triathlon, is set for July 21st and is going to be quite official this year. I've met and teamed up with a non-profit organization, that specializes in planning triathlon events. There will be an entry fee this year to cover the costs of roadblocks, lifeguards, and t-shirts. There will also be many outside participants, seasoned triathletes, that should make it all the more interesting. My intent is that we can still keep the event within the family and friends, while expanding. Still have lots of work and training to do though.

No comments: