Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Game Review: Assassin's Creed

Few months ago, my brothers sold me their Xbox360 along with all their games. Although I don't have the free time that I did back in grade-school, it's quite enjoyable to return to the gaming universe every now-and-then. Fifa 12 has been my most frequent game, yet I also embarked on some others, such as Assassin's Creed. And I must say the content of Assassin's Creed has opened up my eyes to very large and significant portion of history that I know very little of; The Crusades.

The last game I really got into, was The Godfather for PC. I enjoyed this game for it's familiar storyline, the 1950s New York City setting, and especially its style of game-play. Well the game-play of Assassin's Creed is very similar, with a free-reign environment that lets you move in-and-out of cities as you please. The story is set in the Middle East, across cities such as Damascus, Acre, and Jerusalem, during the the Third Crusade. The protagonist, Altair, works for a secret order of Assassins, and must hunt down many high ranking officials on both sides.

The game has incredible graphics, a very interesting story, and an exhilarating game-play. It constantly mixes elements of stealth, escape, and battle. Many objectives require careful patience and precision, while other require high-adrenaline getaways. The only thing I didn't enjoy about this game, was the loading process and the "Animus" Interface. I don't see why they can't just set the game in the period and do away with this entire scientific-genetic explanation. Either way the game has captivated my interest in the History of Christianity, which I will soon begin a new series on. I also intend to start up on Part II, in the coming weeks, which is focused on the Renaissance.




No comments: