Wednesday, July 27, 2011

TV Series: Hey Arnold

One of the great perks about streaming Netflix, is the many TV series it offers. Full seasons and full episodes, without commercials! Ever since college I have become a strong advocate of Movies over Television, due to the production quality and lack of advertisement, and I still hold this position, yet to have total uninterrupted control over a TV show definitely brings it a new value. One of these values is character development, that can be greatly enhanced with longer durations. I also must add that many of these TV series are extremely nostalgic; cartoons and TV shows that I watched all the time as a kid. Cartoons such as Doug, Rugrats, Batman, X-Men, and especially Hey Arnold. It is perhaps one of my favorite cartoons of all time!

Watching it again through a more mature perspective has brought it an even added quality. It is the essence of childhood, yet also carries a realistic social and psychological undertone to it. The story revolves around the many adventures of Arnold, a young inter-city kid, who lives in a boarding house with his grandparents. What I especially love about this setting, is that it's not your typical "Brady-Bunch-Suburbia" setting. Instead we see what it would be like to grow up in a big city, perhaps like New York City. It has a very entertaining quality to it, with good animation, interesting characters, incredible writing, and a great jazzy soundtrack. This is definitely a show I would like to share with my kids some day!

No comments: