Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Random Notes

Ice storm of the month, the year, and the decade! Of course it's only been a day into the month, a month into the year, and a year into the decade... However, this storm is still quite significant to say the least... Of all the Midwest states involved, Indianapolis is at the center of the storm, getting bombarded by sheets of snow and ice. As a child snow days, and ice days were a dream come true, yet I found as an adult they're not very pleasant. They're simply inconvenient, especially at a time, where I really need to be making money!

I've been tutoring after-school, for several months now, and it's going great, yet I have seen far too many cancellations. Every now-and-then this is okay, however when it's money I depend on, it simply is unacceptable. The Mind Program pays quite well, yet it's only 2 hours a day, and quite unreliable and inconsistent work. I find myself at a crossroads, in making a decision I could regret.

This past week has been crazy, with my recent move to River Road Apartments. It's located by 96th and Keystone, thus finally making me an official resident of Indianapolis. I will miss my classy apartment at Sand Creek Woods, yet had grown quite disgusted with the snobby atmosphere there. River Roads is by no means the nitty-gritty of Indy, however it's a significant improvement from the uppity northern suburbs. The place is much more affordable then my last apartment, yet still the question remains whether I will be able to afford it.

My new apartment is located on the 1st floor, with a decent backyard. It somewhat reminds me of my place in Chicago, however much larger. At the same time however it's smaller than my place in Sand Creek Woods, and I find my furniture to be quite clustered. I may have to get rid of some stuff, to make more room. However still have lots of arranging to do.

Times are rough, no doubt about it... Especially financial times... My pursue in an education career has gone south, and I now find myself in a desperate need for just about anything. Over the past three months I have juggled several part time jobs from Sportvision, tutoring with the Mind Program, writing guest-blogs, and writing audio transcripts. And still it does not seem to be enough. However I keep trucking on, always in search for a better tomorrow...

So obviously I won't have internet in my new place for the next few weeks, and blogs will once again be less frequent. I have however found a really nice Coffee Shop nearby, of which I am sitting at right now. The place has a local feel to it, (Middle Eastern) with a piano, artwork, and a hookah bar. It takes me back to my times at Eunni in Chicago, full of culture. This is the exact reason I moved to the city!

Last but not least, I turn my attention to global affairs, most notably the Middle East, where the people stand united in defiance against their unfair governments. A series of revolutions have taken shape in Northern Africa and the Middle East, beginning with Tunisia. The crisis has inspired other insurgencies such as in Yemen, Jordan, and especially in Egypt. The world watches as millions stand united in the streets of Cairo, against the corrupt government of Mubarak. It will be especially interesting to see how this situation plays out, whether Mubarak will step down, and what it could mean for US-Egyptian relations.

No comments: