Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Current Film Review: Tron Legacy

Although I'd never seen the original Tron made in 1982, I remember studying the film in my Telecommunications classes at IU, for it's groundbreaking graphics and being one of the first films to use computer animation. So of course it would come as no surprise that it's sequel would go above and beyond this reputation. I watched the film last night in 3d, and was quite impressed with the production. It is definitely meant to be a visual pleaser, very high on special effects. Once Sam Flynn enters the "Grid", inside the video game world, the film really comes alive and puts you there in the action. It's a visual roller coast, from one incredible sequence to another. The story moves very quick, in order to emphasize these visuals, full of intense yet also realistic color. The soundtrack was also not half bad, mostly electronica, and of course Daft Punk themselves, who serve as slight characters in the film. My only complaint was the CGI enhanced version of Jeff Bridges, who served as the antagonist in the film, named Clu. This digital character looked a little too fake for my liking, and think they should have found a different way to portray the part. However Olivia Wilde, an actress I'd never even heard of, made up for this discrepancy, and truly came alive in the film. She brought an additional visual appeal, much thanks to her likable character, and of course her exotic eyes. The film is just Sci-Fi, at it's best; cool characters, vehicles, fight-sequences, the works... and what can I say, I'm a Sci-Fi nerd!

No comments: