Friday, August 20, 2010

My Return to Chicago

After a relaxing week off of work, I decided to make a visit to Chicago for the day with Reggie. I have been wanting to re-visit my home city, ever since I moved out back in February of 2009, yet just hadn't found the time or money to do it. Well finally, the chance came, and I carefully planned the day, to try and experience all the things of Chicago I best remembered... All-in-all
the day was quite memorable and successful!

We left at about 7am, driving the Knight Rider, and by about 10:30am we saw the glorious Chicago skyline. We decided to park my car in Rogers Park, right in front of my old apartment at Greenleaf. This was so very nostalgic to re-visit the neighborhood I lived in for a year. For a minute it almost seemed as if I had just returned home after a very long vacation. We then walked to the beach to spend the first part of the day. Lake Michigan was quite cold, yet also extremely refreshing... I swam further from the shore than ever, not worried about a thing... It felt incredible! After wards we walked around the beach, me reminiscing about my times at the park, playing soccer, running, hanging out with friends, visiting Peter and Jenny, listening to music, voting for Obama, and so forth... So many good memories at that park!


After the beach, we hopped on the L to go to Wrigley and catch an afternoon Cubs game. I managed to get us good seats down the 1st base line, for only 15 bucks a piece... Before we found our seats we decided to eat at a familiar grease pit, that served great gyros... The game was somewhat boring, and it was extremely hot, yet it was all quite alright since our seats were so amazing... I convinced Reggie in ordering an Old Style beer, explaining to him that it's Cubbie Tradition. Unfortunately the Cubs lost to the Brewers, and my undefeated record at Wrigley had finally come to an end... After the game, we went to the Vines to get a quick cold drink. By about 5ish, we left Wrigleyville to head to the city. Yet on our way out, I dropped into a souvenir shop and bought my classic Cubbies Hat, of which I had lost to the wind years ago...

We got off the L on Grand St, and decided to walk to Navy Pier. There we got some good Italian Gelato ice-cream, which Reggie had been raving about for some time. The ice cream was indeed quite incredible. We then went to the Billy Goat Tavern, where they were selling $3.50 beers. We each slammed a few, and afterward were feeling quite tipsy. After leaving the pier we decided to explore some new territory in Chicago, walking along the river way, and into some plazas, with incredible views of the city. We walked past the NBC tower, through the University of Chicago, past the Chicago Tribune, across the bridge, and to Millennium Park, where we caught an amazing classical performance under the Pritzker Pavilion. By about 9pm, we were both quite hungry, and Reggie was keen on finding a certain Colombian restaurant...

So we hopped on the L, to Lawrence, and got off in somewhat of a sketchy neighborhood. We had to quickly flag down a taxi to get to this place. The environment was quite upbeat, full of so much decoration, with loud music and live karaoke, as well as many pretty people. The food was also quite good. I ordered a Cazuelo de Frijoles; rice, beans, an arepa, and some amazing tender steak. I must say the Colombian experience was good, yet also caused several setbacks concerning the L and general finances. I'd say in the end we loss a good 30 bucks trying to get to this place... Nonetheless, after the meal it was almost 11, and we were both ready to get home. So after catching another taxi, and jumping back on the L, we finally returned to my car to make the long perilous drive home. We got home at about 4:30 am, extremely tired. It was a jam-packed day, and I'm grateful that Reggie came with me at such a short notice, to take in as much as we could. Sure it was an expensive trip, yet when you're in Chicago, it's worth every penny spent!

No comments: