Thursday, May 27, 2010

Defiance

Now here is an extremely underrated movie. I being very obsessed with WW2 History, knew I was going to love this the minute I saw it... It came out in 2008, yet it wasn't until just recently that I saw it. After watching this incredible true story, it makes me wonder how it didn't receive more praise. Directed by Edward Zwick (Glory, Courage Under Fire, The Last Samurai, Blood Diamond) and starring Daniel Craig and Liev Schreiber it tells the true story of the Bielski Partisans. Set during 1941 at the start of Operation Barbarossa, Germany has just occupied the country of Belarus, and begins to transport all Jews to ghettos and labor camps. The four Bielski brothers manage to escape into a forest where they establish a camp, and bring shelter and protection for other Jewish escapees. Constantly being hunted in the forest, the group is led by the eldest Bielski brother Tuvia, who must overcome all sorts of adversity; hunger, a cold winter, and dissension amongst the group. The story has a very strong similarity to the Exodus, where Tuvia acts as Moses, freeing his people from the concentration camps. Although there are parts in the movie that seemed somewhat exaggerated or over-dramatic, it still makes for an incredibly suspenseful and beautiful film. I enjoyed this film so much, I watched it a second time shortly after. It definitely will be added to my collection...

No comments: