Thursday, April 15, 2010

Life as a Therapist

Took the day off today to just unwind and take some much needed rest... The job is going well, and I have become very engaged with it. For the past 4 months now I have worked mornings with a 12 year old kid named Noah and afternoons with a kid named Hillel. They are both extreme opposites, one is aggressive while the other is very passive. I have had my good days and bad days with the both of them, and like to think that we have begun to understand one another. Yet its a constant battle of trying to connect to them. I find myself losing lots of sleep, especially this past week, deep into thought of ways that I can reach to them. I want to be a great therapist, and find ways to connect with these kids, ways to avoid their behaviors, and new ways of making learning fun. I must admit though that the job is extremely draining, and don't think its something I could make a career out of. Yet until that next big thing, I'm happy with this position and want to continue to stride to be a better therapist. I know in the end I will take so much from this experience.

No comments: