Sunday, May 8, 2022

Game Review: The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt

The past few months I have dived into another open world video game, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. I honestly knew absolutely nothing about the premise, only that it was considered one of the largest open world maps (my preferred video game format). The game was released in 2015 with critical acclaim and received various game-of-the-year awards. It's based of the popular book series by the Polish author, Andrzej Sapkowski. I had not even heard about the franchise until one of my NTT co-workers told me about it. Later that year Netflix released the popular television show, starring Henry Cavill as the title character. I actually watched and enjoyed both seasons and thus decided to take on this popular video game. 

I put in a total of 63 hours into this game, which probably doesn't compare to my time spent in RD2, BOTW, or some AC games. For the most part I found it enjoyable and it had about everything I like about open world games. The genre was that of fantasy, very similar to Skyrim in which the hero has a unique mix of combat skills with magical skills. The game I bought included two expansion packs, Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine but I didn't partake too much in those quests. I would say in this game I was probably the most patient ever with the main storyline, and did many side quests/contracts before I had beaten the game. 


The Premise

Geralt of Rivia is a magical warrior known as a "witcher" who hunts monsters in the fantasy world of The Continent. This large map consists of about 4 regions; Kaer Morhen is the fortress of the Witcher clan, Skellige is the winter islands, the urban regions of Velen and Novigrad, and the rural lands of White Orchard. The setting is one of a medieval fantasy with Norse mythological components. Witchcraft and monsters plays a key role in the game, and I would consider it's content to be one of the more darker games I've played. 

The story begins with Geralt on a quest to locate his apprentice and adopted daughter Ciri. She is a princess, daughter of an emperor yet also possesses sacred magical powers from an ancient elvish line. She is welcomed into the Witcher wolf clan and trained by Geralt to help better control her powers. However she is hunted by the wicked Wild Hunt a clan of deadly magical elves. Geralt teams up with his love interest, the witch Yennifer as well as his mentor Vesemir to begin his search. He first begins in Velen where he meets the Bloody Baron and helps him locate his missing wife and daughter. Geralt learns that his wife is under the control of three Crones in the swamplands and helps free her. 

He then travels to Novigrad where he unites with his old friends Triss and Dandelion. He helps them sort out a conflict with the local crime lords. Geralt then sails to the islands of Skellige where he believes Ciri was last seen. Thru some reports from the local villages he discovers that Ciri was  accompanied by an elf and fleeing from the Wild Hunt. Geralt later discovers that the elf was transformed into a hideous monster known as Uma living in the Bloody Baron's quarters. Geralt takes Uma to their fortress in Kaer Morhen, where Yennifer is able to break the curse. Uma transforms back into Avallach, a powerful elf who was protecting Ciri. 

Geralt is finally able to find Ciri on a remote island in Skellige and bring her back to the witcher fortress in Kaer Morhen. They then prepare for an all out assault by the Wild Hunt and Geralt enlists all of his friends. The battle is fierce and brings the death of Vesemir, in which Ciri reacts by unleashing her utmost power that causes the Wild Hunt to abandon their attack. Geralt then comes up with a new strategy with Avallach, Yennifer, and the Lodge of witches. They once again are able to summon the Wild Hunt, and this time Geralt is able to defeat their king Eredin. However their problem is not quite resolved yet as a White Frost has been unleashed to destroy the Continent. Ciri is able to use all her powers to end this total destruction. She either dies or survives depending on your choices in the game. She survived for me and became a witcher as opposed to other scenarios in which she died 0r became  an empress. 


The Gameplay

For the most part I found the combat and motion in this game to be accurate and satisfying. The free reign motion was definitely more open then Skyrim's limitations, however not quite to the all-out-access provided in the recent Assassin Creed games. To be fair I was somewhat limited with a bad controller, but I eventually did replace it to get a better motion experience. Geralt can run, jump, swim, and dive sufficiently but his climbing skill is at a minimal. The horse movement provided by his loyal stead, Roach is also quite sufficient. It's always good to have the whistle option, and the horse can pretty much go anywhere, even thru cities. It also has a realistic stamina and a fear bar which I thought was a refreshing feature. 

Geralt's combat skills were probably my favorite part of the game, and I especially his attacks. With a realistic stamina and magic bar, Geralt possesses the usual moves of attack, block, or dodge. He also has a unique arsenal of magic skills ranging from a magical trap, mind manipulation, a protective shield, a force push, or my favorite the fire blast. I found my fighting preference to be the sword attacks, dodging, and blasts of fire. The protective shield of Quen was also a good tool I used on very challenging bosses that required more patient and tactics. Even despite my patience in leveling up my character, some of the combat in this game was very challenging. 

The weaponry and character enhancements are always a great way to make the game easier. Geralt can buy or loot inventory almost anywhere ranging from weapons, resources for crafting or brewing potions, to food which is used to regenerate his health. Also quite realistically is a burden limit to how much Geralt can carry. This quantity can be enlarged by buying a larger saddle bag. This was also a feature in the game Skyrim, that I was at first very annoyed by but ultimately found it a good challenge to manage stock. 

The weaponry begins with Geralt's two types of swords he always carries; the silver and steel. There are many various forms of these swords with greater attack power, and they can also be upgraded or enhanced with runes or oil. The same can be done with Geralt's armor, gloves, boots, and even his horse. He also carries a crossbow, bombs, torches, and other magical items. Potions are a great way to enhance attack power or regenerate health. Meditation is also a good way to fast forward time and regenerate Geralt's health.   

The game has an enjoyable business aspect with merchant trade and a vast array of inventory. Geralt can take on monster-hunting contracts on the side to collect good money. Or he can compete in the card game of Gwent (which I never took the time to learn how to play). The one thing missing in this aspect was perhaps a home base for Geralt to renovate or personalize as in other open world games. It was easy money to sell junk and I found the most thing I purchased was food or repair kits. 

All-in-all I'd say the game was worth the time and money and I found it to be enjoyable. I thought the monster hunting element was something quite unique and really a structure you can base a story and game around. The fantasy setting was also entertaining with it's vast array of witches, monsters, trolls, mages, elves, and so forth. There are over 80 different forms of monsters in this game, falling into various bestiary categories. I'd say my only criticism was it's darker element, just like in Skyrim is not really my preference. I enjoy fantasy (especially Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones) but not so much stories that dive deep into witchcraft and dark magic. So overall I'd say the game was top 50 material for me but not top 25 material.   

No comments: