Friday, March 12, 2021

Game Review: Assassin's Creed Valhalla

After 5 months of total Viking/Norse emersion, I have finally finished the latest release in the Assassin's Creed franchise of Valhalla. Since this was my last game to play in the series, I decided to really take my time and soak it all in. I'll later have a separate post regarding my year long Assassins' Creed project, but for now I want to give a full detailed review of Valhalla. This game was true to the series format, and very enjoyable from start to finish. I'd say alongside Odyssey it was my favorite in the series and probably the longest of which I played (I logged a total of 80 hours after finally calling it quits). This one was on my radar for over a year and definitely lived up to the hype.

I actually pre-ordered this game on Amazon and did not begin it until mid November, since I was still finishing up on Assassin's Creed Russia. Knowing the game was pertaining to the Viking Age, I loaded up on shows, movies, and books about Vikings and Norse Mythology. While this was actually not to be my first Viking Immersion (see Viking Age) it was by far my most in depth. I came away from this game learning so much about the historical age, yet even more so about their culture and pagan beliefs which we know today as Norse Mythology. The game of course is a fictional story however it is very much set in a historical era of Norway and England during late 800 AD.

The Story and Setting

The main protagonist in the game is Eivor whose parents are killed during a raid and is adopted by another family. Eivor grows into a strong warrior and leads raids and battles throughout Norway with his step-brother Sigurd. Their clan eventually decides to sail to England to conquer new territory and grow crops in warmer climates. They eventually establish a community in a fictional town called Ravensthorpe, where Sigurad's wife Randvi administers their raiding operation. Eivor and Sigurd travel all across England conquering territories such as Mercia, Wessex, Northumbria, and East Anglia. 

While the Raven clan mostly oppose the Anglo-Saxons, they also come into dispute with other warring Viking Clans, such as the Danes and the famous clans of Ragnar Lothbrok. Eivor interacts with several of Ragnar's sons such as Ivar the Boneless, Halfdan, and Ubba Ragnarsson. He also later allies with the viking leader Guthrum Jarl to aid him in the Great Heathen Army against the English King Alfred the Great. During this time Eivor also joins forces with the Organization of Hidden Ones (which are the precursors to the Assassin's Brotherhood) and eliminates their sworn enemies known as the Order of Ancient Ones (precursors to the Templars). 

Aside from the conquest of England there is also a great mythological component to this game which is made possible thru a dream world. Eivor visits his volva seer, known as Volka, who gives him a magical potion to enter into a deep trance. There are two main arcs in the dream world, set in the godly heaven of Asgard and the giant world of Jotunheimr. The setting of Asgard is very well done, and offers a very different visual then what was presented in the sci-fi superhero film of Thor. Instead we see a more accurate and ancient mythological setting, with its glorious architecture and landscapes. At the backdrop of both Asgard and Jotunheimr is the incredible massive tree of life known as Yggdrasil. Both worlds are truly awe-inspiring to explore and navigate. 

The Gameplay

The format of the gameplay is very much on par with Odyssey, maybe not as boat oriented but still plenty of seafaring freedom onboard the longship. The main maps of England and Norway are massive, my understanding even more so than Odyssey. Also there are additional worlds of Asgard, Joteunheimr, and Vinland with plenty of map to explore. This vast open world map is what I have always enjoyed most about the Assassin's Creed series. Valhalla offers sweeping landscapes of mountains, forests, rivers, lakes, and the rolling green hills of England. It also includes various landmarks such as Stonehedge and the Old Saint Paul's Cathedral in London. I especially enjoyed riding my horse, Prudence, through the vast hilly countryside of rural England.   

Also just like in Odyssey the game offers the player the choice to play with either a male or female protagonist. I chose the male version of Eivor, thinking it to be a bit more realistic however know very well that female warriors were also very common among the Vikings. The character goes thru skill upgrades throughout the game, just as in Origins and Odyssey. This is important to make sure your character is at the proper level of the quests or enemies you face. This is especially why I took my time in the game to do many side missions, hunt and loot for treasure, and constantly upgrade my gear. The more skill points Eivor has, the easier it is to take on quests and opponents. 

The fighting was also very similar to Origins and Odyssey with much more free reign combat compared to the earlier games where the only options were attack, defend, or counter-attack. The ability to dodge is often one of my favorite moves, however in this game it was hindered with a new stamina component. Eivor quickly became winded after a few dodges, compared to Bayek or Alexios' fighting mobility. He however processed a powerful attack and also had an arsenal of special abilities. I will say his special abilities were not as good as in Odyssey and the only one I really enjoyed was the axe throw. However although Alexios had better special abilities, the kill schematics in Valhalla were by far the most gory yet. There were times I would get quite blood-drunk when fighting thanks to the incredibly detailed graphics of big kills. 

The weaponry was probably not as vast as that of Odyssey and I believe this was due to the new blacksmith option. In the homestead, there is a likable blacksmith named Gunnar who will update your gear if you provide various metal resources. Eivor has the ability to wield two handed large weapons or carry two weapons at a time. This is a gameplayer's preference, and while I began with an axe and shield, I later purchased a massive two handed sword which I used for most of the game. I kept this weapon upgraded and found the more I used it the better I got with it. The game also offers an arsenal of bows, axes, flails, and shields. I did very much enjoy finding a high spot where I could easily snipe soldiers with my bow. 

Raiding towns, monasteries, and fortifications also had a very exhilarating feel to it in the game. Eivor had the ability to call upon his raiders which made for intense battle situations. The assistance of other Vikings was also necessary in order to break through doors and open giant chests. I definitely felt a bit of guilt raiding monasteries early in the game, however it's only a historical game, no different then pirates raiding merchant ships. Also all the fighting in the game was only against soldiers and killing citizens will quickly lead to desynchronization. The fortification battles also had a similar high octane style, where Eivor had to unlock gates and draw bridges in the midst of heavy fighting.   

I would say my favorite feature of the game, aside from it's free reign landscape, was the ability to upgrade my settlement. This feature was very similar to that of Assassin's Creed 3, where I establish a community and continue to build it with renovations and personal decorative touches. There are also many side quests pertaining to the characters within the Ravensthorpe community. Eivor actually develops a romantic relationship with various characters in the homestead including a hunter and a baker. However he mostly develops feelings for Sigurd's wife Randvi. Most the buildings in the homestead require resources from the world, such as the fishing hut, the museum, the tattoo hut, or the hunter huts. These buildings encourage treasure hunting throughout the vast map provided in the game. There is also a great hall within the homestead, that encourages feasts to raise morale and productivity.  

No comments: