Monday, April 29, 2019

Movie Review: Avengers Endgame

I knew I had to see this one on opening weekend for several reasons. 1st is that it's the grand finale of the Avengers series that dated back in 2012. Second is in this age of social media spoilers, it's best to try and get ahead of the buzz. Especially when you work with a bunch of nerds who never stop talking about it, as is the case at my baseball job. I knew my best bet to get ahead of the buzz was to join the masses on opening weekend. And 3rd was I knew it was going to be a special effects behemoth that had to be appreciated in theaters.

The key to beating spoilers is to watch it while it's fresh and brand spanking new. Sure there are those who enjoy to read the leaks (such as my mom), but I do my best to block all that stuff out. I enjoy the suspense of not knowing what is going to happen, and the surprise and emotions that come with something fresh and new. It's the same as watching a live sports match where you have no idea what is going to happen, and it takes you on a roller coaster of emotions (especially if you're as a big of a fan as I am). I know this is a nerdy way to live, but its these things that keep me going, and I enjoy it. And now to the matter at hand regarding the Avengers; I enjoyed it very much and thought it was a fitting end to the series.


Avengers Review

Now fair warning, I am going to discuss some of the plot and characters of the movie, and don't want to be guilty of the exact thing I despise, Spoilers! And there's one that shines above the rest, that being the fate of Iron Man. I made this prediction several years ago that Iron Man would have to be the sacrificial hero, knowing his ego to always be the top dog. I suppose I also found it to be poetic justice since after all it was he who started the whole Marvel Superhero craze back in 2008. Robert Downy does a phenomenal job at creating an original witty superhero you just hate to love. His death at the end was the fitting close to the Avengers.

Perhaps the second biggest shock was the sacrificial death of Black Widow played by the very sexy Scarlett Johansson. This one I had no idea was coming and was the exact same scenario as the death of Gamora in the Infinity War. In order to get the soul stone, Black Widow and Hawkeye had to decide who would give up their life. After an honorable fight as to who would do it, Black Widow took the honor and scarified her life thus bringing an abrupt end to the heroine. However rumor has it she will soon have her own spin-off movie which will surely be set as a prequel to these events.

The movie consisted of a somewhat complex time-traveling mission in which the Avengers went back into 3 moments in time in order to collect the infinity stones before Thanos did. While I understood the basic flow of it all, I'm sure I'll have to watch it several more times to follow all the specific details. Thor and Hulk were my favorite characters and provided some very good comedic relief throughout the film. Perhaps my favorite part of the movie was the final battle which saw the other half of the Avengers return from oblivion.

All-in-all the movie was an epic summer blockbuster and already has shattered the box office records. I watched it with Philip and Benjamin and it made for quite a memorable and enjoyable experience. Although I thought some of the time traveling was perhaps over-complicating things, I still enjoyed the way it all worked out in the end. I was also glad Captain America got a proper walk-off as it was he who was always intended to be the leader of the Avengers. While this marks an end for the Avenger series, there are still many other Marvel super hero movies to come that I look forward to.

No comments: