Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Movie Review: Rogue One

I was quite excited that yet another new Star Wars film was being released at Christmas time. Seems it has become a new tradition around Christmas time, to watch a new epic release in theaters (it's usually been either Lord of the Rings or Star Wars). This time it was a branch from the Star Wars saga, the first of many stand-alone films to be produced by Disney. There are many who are opposed to this idea of Disney cashing in on the Star Wars franchise with new spin-offs, yet I'm all for it. I love the Star Wars universe and as long as they stay true to George Lucas' concept, I say the more the merrier.

The film Rogue One is not so much a stand-alone film, yet rather a gap filler between Episode 3: Revenge of the Sith and Episode 4: A New Hope (which according to the story line is 20 years). Therefore this film serves as an Episode 3.5 in providing new material to better connect some dots. In Episode 4 the Rebel Alliance has stolen plans from the Death Star and are plotting to destroy it. However we don't know how they got those plans. In this film Rogue One the story demonstrates how the Rebellion is able to obtain the plans leading directly to the start up of Episode 4.

The Plot

The film's main protagonist is a girl named Jyn Erso (played by the very attractive Felicity Jones). Her father was a scientist forced against his will to design the death star. In a final act of disobedience he created the Death Star with a flaw, and sent the message to his daughter in hopes that it could be destroyed. Jyn is hesitant to join the rebellion at first yet after receiving her father's message she becomes intent to fight against the Empire. She thus joins the rebellion and leads a brave campaign to steal the plans.

My Review

At first I thought the film's first hour was somewhat dry and slow, and I was hoping to see much more action. However this changed after witnessing the final battle scene, which must have gone on for about an hour. I realized at that point, that the first hour serves as a great build-up compliment to the excitement to come. The battle scene was full of old school references and was quite reminiscent of the Battle of Endor in Return of the Jedi.

The special effects were at just the right level, not overdoing it too much, the way the prequels did. I thought the film did very well in bringing back the Episode 4 characters thru use of CGI. This was done most notably for Grand Moff Tarkin, some of the Rebel pilots, and Princess Leia. Darth Vader played a minor role in the film, yet certainly had his wow moment at the end which was true to the character's form.

I would highly recommend this film for both new and old Star Wars fans. I think it was even better than last years Episode 7: The Force Awakens. Yet I think that's mostly my bias because it dealt with old material that I grew up with. Nonetheless I would certainly consider watching this film a 2nd time in theaters and can't wait to add it to my collection.


No comments: