Saturday, November 19, 2011

Random Autumn Notes

It's been a busy fall season, working at RCL during the weeks and with Sportvision during the weekends. Thus far I have worked football games at Michigan, Michigan St, Ohio St, Illinois, and soon to be Wisconsin over Thanksgiving. I must admit that work has definitely drained me out, yet I am very grateful to be busy and making money. Trying to pay off my credit debt and student loans with this extra money. Seems never ending though!

In family news, Jackie has recently married Pedro, a division II baseball player, who could be going professional for the San Diego Padres. We had a very nice wedding at our house at Keikionga Shores on October 15th. And Gily recently gave birth to baby Natalia, with her boyfriend Stiven. I was made Natalia's Godfather, and we had the baptism ceremony on October 23rd.

On a technology note, I am still quite obsessed with Streaming Netflix. Movies have always been a part of my life, and a I try to watch one almost every night. Thanks to the many movies, documentaries, and TV series on Netflix, I no longer have to make trips back and forth to the library. My Android smartphone, has also changed my mobile life, bringing the world at my fingertips at every moment. It has saved me numerous times on the road. To have the internet with me at all times, makes me feel quite in-sync and informed, especially with the handy newsfeed program, Twitter.

Over the past few months, I have become quite the political and diplomatic news junkie, perhaps because it's been such an interesting year. On foreign issues, the year began with the Arab Spring, successful revolutions in Tunisia and Egypt, and a civil war in Libya that brought the end to Gaddafi's 41-year dictatorship. The civil unrest continues in places such as Syria, where President Assad, refuses to relinquish his power and is openly killing civilian protestors. Another major foreign news event was the death of Bin Laden in May, which has made President Obama quite successful on foreign issues. However the European Economic Crisis has now taken center stage.

On domestic-economic issues, President Obama has been struggling to get anything done thanks to a "do-nothing" congress. The congress has put forth heavy opposition to practically every proposal from the president with simple intentions to sabotage his re-election campaign. At the moment the Congress has an approval rating of 9%, the lowest in history. A super-committee was established in the late summer, after the debt ceiling negotiation, to add 1.2 trillion in revenue. The deadline however comes in a few days, Nov. 23rd, and it seems both sides are still gridlocked between cutting government spending or raising taxes on the wealthy. This is a continuous theme in American politics, and perhaps the main reason for the recent insurgency of protests such as Occupy Wall Street.


On a musical note, I have been quite into Bob Dylan, listening to his music on my long drives. I have always enjoyed his musical style, yet have recently tried to follow and understand his metaphoric lyrics. His music ranges from protest music, folk stories, and love songs that capture the essence of the American counter-culture. Although his highlight period was from 1961-1966 one cannot deny that he was one of the greatest poets and folk singers of all time.

I've been working on a memoir, a biography of the 1st quarter of my life. It's been an extremely nostalgic experience reflecting on the various phases of my life. I think everyone should do it! Coming soon, an update of my top 50 favorite movies and top 50 favorite musical artists.


No comments: