Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Indiana State Fair 2011

It's been years, since I've attended a public fair, perhaps during high school at the Three Rivers Festival. There's probably a reason for this, maybe the extremely high prices, long lines, and unhealthy greasy food. However these public fairs manage to attract hoards of people, and to many this event is the essence of summer. It's probably this reason why political candidates, attend these fairs; to win favor and public support. These fairs are no doubt, an essential part of American culture. So with that in mind, I found it quite necessary to experience the Indiana State Fair, one of the biggest and most famous fairs in the country.

I drive by the state fairgrounds in Indianapolis almost every day, and have even made a delivery there once. When I found out that Crumble, one of my good college friends, was in town for a while, I couldn't think of a better person to experience the fair with. Crumble is a cliche country girl, and she and I had many good adventures together in college. It was also interesting to see the fair after a recent tragedy, the collapse of a stage that killed 5 people, and became world news.

I met up with Crumble and Hussie, and we spent most the evening catching up. It had been nearly 3 years since I had seen Crumble, and she still looked the same. Quite amazing too after having two kids. Her two kids were also there, as well as her husband Joe. We spent the evening taking in the fair, walking around, and eating all sorts of greasy snacks. I myself bought a corn-dog, Italian sausage, and some ice cream. It was all very expensive, but also quite worth it. We also saw some animals, cows, and the world's biggest pig, as well as some fancy horses and Clydesdale. All-in-all it was an interesting social experience, to witness a classic past-time of American culture.

No comments: