Sunday, June 12, 2011

Movie Masterpiece: The Tree of Life

So after a year of anticipation, I finally saw this artsy independent film directed by Terrance Malick, starring Brad Pitt and Sean Penn. I went to an art cinema at Keystone, to find the film. And after about ten minutes into the film, I knew it was going to be extremely slow and drawn-out. About an hour into the film, I was already checking my watch. And when it was finally over, I walked out with disappointment and a massive headache.

I enjoyed Terrance Malick's film, "New World", for it's poetic, artistic sequences, and its amazing classical soundtrack. I therefore expected this film, to go a step beyond what he did in New World, and bring a large sense of abstract transcendence. The idea seemed brilliant. An abstract story of the origins of life, childhood, adulthood, and the afterlife. Not to mention it also starred two of the best actors in the business, Brad Pitt and Sean Penn. So where did it go wrong?

In my opinion, it was an overwhelming amount of incredible visuals, without much substance. To put it plainly, the story is weak and very minimal. The film is somewhat similar to Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey, where we get long drawn-out sequences of surreal images. Journeys through deep space and time. Incredible images of cosmos, planets, and nature. Instead of a linear plot, we get thoughts of poetry and philosophy. Segments that are carried by the filming, and the music, and not so much the story.

With that said, I can't take away from the acting. Brad Pitt did a great job, as a tough-father set in the 1950s, who believed he had to be hard on his children to make them strong. His wife, played by Jessica Chastain, was the complete opposite of him; fragile, soft, and very motherly. The two of them together did an incredible job of incorporating that cliche idea of 1950s parenthood. Then there were the three children, the real stars of the film. The eldest boy became strong-willed, rebellious, and was later portrayed by Sean Penn. The middle child had a taste for the arts, and was constantly bullied by his older brother. The third and youngest child, was the follower and observer. All three of the boys did not have any acting experience, yet did a great job at creating these characters.

So the acting was good, the filming was perhaps ingenious, and even the score was quite moving, yet perhaps my expectations were a bit higher. This film has received critical praise so far, and even won the Palme d'Or at the Cannes Film Festival. I can definitely understand why it has received such critical acclaim, for it's creative and surreal presentation. However as of now I don't entirely agree with them. This film requires extreme patience, and is definitely not for everybody. Perhaps my expectations were too high, and I was hoping to walk out of that theater blown away. Instead I was left with instant disappointment, and can only wonder if my interpretation of this film may change over time.

No comments: