Monday, April 6, 2020

Game Review: Assassin's Creed Revelations

Well I finished the final chapter of the Ezio trilogy, AC: Revelations and enjoyed it just as much as the others. Perhaps my favorite thing of the game, per usual is the historical setting, this time it's 1511 Constantinople. This is a nice change from the previous two games set in Italy and takes Ezio away from Christianity and into the heart of the booming Middle East. Before this game I knew very little regarding the history and culture of the Ottoman Empire. The game inspired me to do a deep dive into the history of the Ottoman Empire. I found everything about this game to be fascinating, from the story, the setting, and of course the gameplay.

The story was a fitting conclusion to the Ezio trilogy and demonstrates the character's veteran experience and also a new love interest. In the first couple games he was a hot-headed young hero however in this game he appears to be more at peace. Ezio aids the local assassins in securing the region from the Templars while helping the young Suleiman the Magnificent dispose of a power struggle within his family. The story also ties in flashbacks regarding the conclusion of the original assassin Altair. In Revelations both assassins (Altair and Ezio) are bringing closure to their stories while passing on their creed to future assassins. 

Unlike the previous two games, this one really pumps the break on the present-day Desmond material, which is quite alright in my book. In this game Desmond is located on some mysterious animus island and we rarely hear from the scientists much. There are some optional quests to play with Desmond yet I never bothered with these. I play Assassin's Creed for the historical content and usually pay no mind to the present-day story. 

The Ezio game-play was fairly similar to the previous 2 games with the same combat style of counter-attack and stealth kills. The weaponry was also quite similar bringing back his sword, gun, and crossbow. However there was one very awesome addition of a hook-blade which could be used in combat yet more-so in climbing. This blade essentially extends Ezio's reach when jumping or climbing on buildings. It could also be used for zip-lining from point to point which was very exhilarating. The hook blade was no doubt the highlight of this particular game. 

This game also introduced a new component of bomb making, which I wasn't too keen on. Ezio can collect various chemicals and materials throughout the city and can later assemble them. He can also buy these bombs on a black market. The use of bombs is no doubt handy for distractions or when facing overwhelming odds, but I rarely used them. When ever I found myself in a hot-spot I would call aid from my assassin recruits which usually did the job. 

Another thing I wasn't too crazy about in this game was the den battles. Just as in AC: Brotherhood you can take over buildings from enemy control and establish guilds of assassins, thieves, mercenaries, or courtesans. However in this game those buildings can be contested, which leads to a den battle. This unique format requires battle tactics by which Ezio must place barricades and shooters throughout various locations to stop the waves of enemy attacks. I just found the controls of this format to be somewhat inconsistent and a bit messy. I only engaged in several of these den battles and as per usual prefer the more open style of combat.  

The game brought back the underground element of exploring ruins, catacombs, tombs and solving puzzles. This time however it was an essential part of the main story, required to locate Altair's keys into Maysaf. I found these puzzles to be much easier then the Tombs of Altair or the Tombs of Romulus. They usually consisted of jumping, climbing, and fighting thru underground caves. Once the key was acquired it would lead to an Altair flashback, which was also a fairly easy quest. All-in-all I would say this game was perhaps the easiest of the three (however that could also be because I have been playing the Ezio trilogy for the past month now). 

The historical map of Constantinople was incredible, just as impressive as Florence, Venice, and Rome. There is so much content, side quests, and business to attend to on the game map. Just like in AC: Brotherhood this game allows the player to win back regions that are in enemy control, renovate businesses, and recruit assassins. One of my favorite things to do in these games is to explore the historical sites, and this one had incredible detail of the Galata Tower, the Grand Bazaar, and of course the iconic Haggai Sophia.

The city had a very vibrant style to it, with the locals all dressed in very colorful and elaborate wardrobe. I found the Gypsi/Romani women to be much more appealing than the previous courtesans. I also found the Arabian soundtrack to be very enticing and perhaps the best one yet. This game was ultimately a very enjoyable end to the Ezio Trilogy that I have played for the past month now. Next game for me will be AC: Unity as I explore one of my all time favorite historical settings, the French Revolution! 

No comments: