Sunday, May 8, 2011

Indy Mini 2011

A Family Tradition

Ran 13.1 miles yesterday, at the Indianapolis Half Marathon. This was my 6th time running this particular race. It still remains one of my favorite road-races! It has become a springtime tradition for my friends and family, dating back to our first experience in 2005. My dad, uncle Carl, aunt Lori, Philip, Shawnna, Jennifer, Marc, Jackie, and now many friends have all taken a part in this race. It has became an annual affair, always the first weekend of May, and has taken on a series of traditions; such as registering for the race during Thanksgiving, training during early spring, picking up the packets downtown, having a spaghetti dinner at Carl's Friday night, waking up early to drive and find parking, running the race, meeting behind the bleachers afterward, sharing race stories with another, and then a good party in the evening. It's quite an achievement, and has become a very fun event with family and friends.

The Race

Yesterday my final time was a 1:48:30. This is about one minute slower than last years time. In all honesty, I ran a bad race and felt terrible half-way through. I started in Coral C, with Palmer and Philip, and perhaps took off way too fast. My first 6 miles were sub-8. Once I entered the stadium, I began to realize that I was in for some pain. Perhaps it was the muggy weather, or lack of training. I began to struggle after mile 6, feeling quite heavy and dehydrated. I had to stop at every drinking area, and walked several times. However surprisingly, I still managed to hit my goal, of running sub 1:50. Turns out many other runners, Philip, Dad, Palmer, Katie, and so forth also experienced the same feeling of dehydration during the race.

Here are my splits from yesterday. They get slower and slower... However at least they never go over 9 minutes.

Mile 1: 8.21
Mile 2: 7.46
Mile 3: 7.53
Mile 4: 7.42
Mile 5: 7.47
Mile 6: 7.54
Mile 7: 8.13
Mile 8: 8.18
Mile 9: 8.31
Mile 10: 8.45
Mile 11: 8.46
Mile 12: 8.55
Mile 13: 8.47

I have decided to run the Fort 4 Fitness in September, to try and improve on this time, and perhaps hit my PR of 1:41. Next Race coming up is with Palmer, on May 21st, a 10K in Fort Wayne, known as the Frontier Run'n Fun. It will be my first 10K race ever, so should be quite interesting. I'm going to take a few days off to rest, yet hope to be back running no later than Wednesday.

No comments: